X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by imager View Post

I don't want to change anything except the way JPG photo attachments uploaded to posts are rendered in the forum - basically to prevent scaling of these and only these images.

I think, respectfully, the suggestion that I'm changing the resolution on someone's device is a red herring - my users want this; they are seeing imperfect photos because of the scaling. It's also an option (to disregard) scaling in Windows for applications.
    There is no way to do this in vBulletin. vBulletin doesn't have any code to modify/override zoom on the user's machines. I really doubt that we will add such a method in the future. You might be able to do it with Custom CSS but I do not know how.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    This is an example of someone addressing much the same issue:

https://forum.squarespace.com/topic/...ng-for-images/

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

Changing the format of the image isn't illegal. However, changing the resolution on someone's personal device may be illegal in different parts of the world.

Because there are Accessibility laws in numerous countries. Changing the zoom state of a person's browser can violate these laws if they have trouble seeing. That is probably why they zoomed the output anyway. These zoom features weren't added because they felt good. They were added to comply with international Accessibility laws. Maybe you will accomplish what you want but it isn't something that is possible in vBulletin.

My suggestion for your site is to use larger fonts and icons to accommodate 4K displays. Then you don't have to zoom and the image won't be blurry when resized by the browser.
    I don't want to change anything except the way JPG photo attachments uploaded to posts are rendered in the forum - basically to prevent scaling of these and only these images.

I think, respectfully, the suggestion that I'm changing the resolution on someone's device is a red herring - my users want this; they are seeing imperfect photos because of the scaling. It's also an option (to disregard) scaling in Windows for applications.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    You can run different CSS based on the resolution of the viewport.

• In Omnibus
    commented on 's reply
    I would add that most users still do not have 4K devices. A good number don't even have 1080P devices.

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by imager View Post
    Not sure why it would be illegal - I'm wishing to preserve attachments in their original visible state.
    Changing the format of the image isn't illegal. However, changing the resolution on someone's personal device may be illegal in different parts of the world.

Because there are Accessibility laws in numerous countries. Changing the zoom state of a person's browser can violate these laws if they have trouble seeing. That is probably why they zoomed the output anyway. These zoom features weren't added because they felt good. They were added to comply with international Accessibility laws. Maybe you will accomplish what you want but it isn't something that is possible in vBulletin.

My suggestion for your site is to use larger fonts and icons to accommodate 4K displays. Then you don't have to zoom and the image won't be blurry when resized by the browser.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    As far as I am aware, you cannot override Operating System or Browser Zoom Settings. That would be an Accessibility nightmare and is probably illegal in some areas.
    Not sure why it would be illegal - I'm wishing to preserve attachments in their original visible state.

Photographic image editing applications mostly achieve this without problem.

It's a browser issue - I'm also seeking a fix via the browser. But at present of your display scaling is anything other than 100% then even if the browser is at 100% also then the image will not be as sharp as it could be because it will be interpolated.

My 27" 4K monitor has a recommended 150% display scaling for example. This makes text and icons more readable, but image attachments also get scaled and, in that process, blurred. It's not disastrous but to photographers it's a problem.

The only obvious fix is to return OS display scaling to 100%, thus making the image viewable as intended but also making displayed text and icons tiny.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    As far as I am aware, you cannot override Operating System or Browser Zoom Settings. That would be an Accessibility nightmare and is probably illegal in some areas.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    started a topic Keeping image attachments at 100%

Keeping image attachments at 100%

Is there a way (CSS mod, maybe?) to maintain the display of photo attachments to 100% (1 image pixel to 1 display pixel) regardless of OS display scaling The problem, for example, is that with a 4K monitor, for example, the recommended OS text and icons scaling is 150%. The problem with that is when you display a high quality photo attachment it is upscaled by 50% and so becomes blurred slightly. For a photographic interest forum this is quite frustrating.

It's not vBulletin's fault - I just need a work around. Thanks!