Cookies and Migration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookies and Migration

I recently migrated from Cloud to stand alone.

In the config.php files I set the cookie prefix to what it was when I was cloud hosted, I was thinking of the flood of "I can't log in" emails from my members if I changed it.

I have a member reporting a continuous server error while composing a post in the forums, I would guess this has something to do with auto save. I have asked him to clear out all of his cookies generated by my site and try again.

This has me wondering If I made a mistake by keeping the same cookie prefix that I had while on vB cloud.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

The cookie prefix wouldn't be related to a server error. The cookie prefix would be related to a login issue.

What is the specific error?

Comment

He did not mention specifics but I have asked an am waiting response.

I wasn't sure how the auto save works, do not know if that is on the server or stored in a cookie?

Comment

Three things...
        1. Make sure the Core URL is correct under Settings -> Options -> Site URLs and Routing. This should be a URL (i.e. http(s)://stuff here/ and not a path (i.e. /home/username/public_html/vbulletin/core).
        2. Clear the System Cache after making this change. Maintenance -> Clear System Cache.
        3. Change the cookie prefix. The only thing this will do is log people out. However, when they log in, their local storage cache and cookies will be recreated as if it never existed. This will prevent old URLs from the Cloud from being used.
        I wasn't sure how the auto save works, do not know if that is on the server or stored in a cookie?
        It is stored on the server. This enables it to work across devices. Cookies are device specific. Also vBulletin prevents JavaScript from accessing most cookies for security purposes.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thank to both of you for the input. I am still awaiting a response from the member.

In the mean time, I did change the cookie prefix, I did check my Core URL and it was set at "https://www.xxxxxxxx.com/core" already, so no issues there.

One thing I did notice however.
          After changing my cookie prefix and cleared the cache, when I went in to post a thread letting members know about the cookie change I had the yellow bar with the "Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard." had popped up in my post windows. Out of curiosity and clicked Restore and it was a post I had started last night before I went to bed.

I don't ever recall that happening in the past, how long is that Auto Save information stored in the database?

Comment

It should be stored until 1) it is restored, 2) it is discarded, or 3) you start another post with different content.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

OK, that makes sense. Thank you for your help!

Mike

Comment