Spam related - tag cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam related - tag cloud

Well... after the switch from vb3 with custom registration path to vb5 with standard registration path I am dealing with massive spam. Ok, noticed the antispam settings akismet and stopforumspam.

But putting that aside - right now what i have noticed - when I am banning a user by deleting his spampost/threads and ticking the relevant banFOREVERoption - the system does not show me that he also created tags (if any). So even after (soft)deletion of the s*** the tags are left behind and appear in the tagcloud. Then I have to go to acp > tags , find the tags tick them one by one and delete them. It is not very practical.

Any suggestions how to deal with this the right way?

p.s. What I have thought of - letting any vbulletin owner to set his own custom registration url leading to his registration page would at least stop the bots from easily registering on the forums.

When I had vb3 with my custom registering page - I too had those bot-spammers - but it was like once a month. Now with the standard settings it is almost daily routine.
    What's brewing in Poland? Find out on www.Browar.biz (in Polish)
    PL: Modyfikacje vB: www.pub.net.pl

I would suggest not allowing registered users to create tags. They can create literally anything you haven't put in your block list.

Comment

p.s. What I have thought of - letting any vbulletin owner to set his own custom registration url leading to his registration page would at least stop the bots from easily registering on the forums.
      How? The bot would simply pull the link out of the HTML code by scanning for "Register" or "Join Now." It gives a false sense of security.

You can however change the Title, URL, and Meta Description of any page in vBulletin 5 simply by editing it and changing the values on save. For the registration page, it will even update the link on the sign in form automatically. Though, the system will also create an automatic 301 redirect from the old URL to the new URL.

For tags, you can display "Unused Tags" and delete those for an easier time. Unfortunately, there is no mechanism to "Select All" on the Tag page. Hopefully the JavaScript for the AdminCP gets updated for that in the future.

To keep tags off your cloud, I suggest tagging content with the tags you want to appear. It will show the most popular tags in the system. The options for how many tags to show are still under Settings -> Options -> Tagging Options. They haven't been moved to the module system yet.

Limiting the ability to tag content to trusted users will also help cut down on this type of spam.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment