Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error while saving content: %1$s

Hi vBulletin Team,

I am having issues whenever anyone who had finished replying to a topic and press "Post Reply", an error message will appear:-

“Error while saving content: %1$s
    Error information: " 200 parsererror SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0".

It seems the post gets saved nevertheless but the apperance of the error message is making some user irritated.

Here are the requested information:-

(1) vBulletin Version - 5.6.4
    (2) PHP Version - PHP7.4.11
    (3) MySQL Version - 10.4.14 - Maria DB
    (4) Any Addons Installed - No addons installed.
    (5) Does the issue occur in a default style - Yes.
    (6) Does the issue occur using the English Language provided? - Yes
    (7) Error Message on the screen - Yes
    “Error while saving content: %1$s
    Error information: " 200 parsererror SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0".
    (8) Browser and Broswer version used - Google Chrome & Microsoft Edge. Mac users also reported seeing the error message.
    (9) Did you clear Broswer cache and did the error continue? Yes. I restart PC too. The Error continues.
    (10) A list of steps that can be used to recreate the issue. - Just reply to any topic in any forums at hifive.sg, press "Post reply", the "working" yellow box appears and once it disappears, the error message box appears.
    (11) Output of the error with vBulletin in Debug Mode - Please attached debug image.
    (12) If the issue is an invalid Server (500 server error) response, the web server and PHP logs that correspond with its timestamp - Not applicable.

This is a home PC running on Windows 10 with XAMPP 7.4.11 VC15.

I read this could be an iconv issue but I found iconv enabled in the phpinfo.

Anything I can do to stop the error message? Many thanks in advance.

(Audio)
    Attached Files

Your system is returning an improperly formatted JSON response. Probably an HTML or XML error of some sort. Unfortunately, the displayed error message doesn't help much. Please place the site into debug mode and paste the text (not a screenshot) of the new error display.

You can put your site into debug mode with the instructions here.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

The site is now in debug mode.

Using the developer Tools and under Network, this is the text I got when the error pops up.

Debug: Error
      This action only available via POST
      occurred in file C:\xampp\htdocs\vb\includes\vb5\frontend\controller.php on line 138
      Trace
      • Function verifyPostRequest in file C:\xampp\htdocs\vb\includes\vb5\frontend\controller\createcontent.php line 192
      • Function actionTextNodeInternal in file C:\xampp\htdocs\vb\includes\vb5\frontend\controller\createcontent.php line 186
      • Function index in file C:\xampp\htdocs\vb\index.php line 75

Hope this helps. Thanks!

(Audio)
      Attached Files

Comment

Are you blocking JavaScript in your browser? The front-end is a JavaScript app and needs access to run scripts in your browser.

Though the content entry forms are marked as "method='post'" so this specific error is still a bit confusing.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi Wayne,

I am not sure if I am blocking Javascript in my browser. I installed Chrome as per normal and all my users told me they got the same message at their end; Chrome, Edge and Mac machine as well.

Let me know how could I help to troubleshoot.

(Audio)

Comment

Have you added any custom JavaScript to the page? For example Advertising or Facebook code? Could be in the header, footer, or one of the global areas even.
            1. Load the New Content page.
            2. Hit F12 on your keyboard to bring up the Developer tools.
            3. Click on the "Console" tab.
            4. Create your content.
            5. Submit the content.
            6. Are there any errors in the Console tab?
            Does the same issue happen for articles, blogs, and group submission? What about editing your user profile?

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi Wayne,

I just install Windows10 OS on this PC on the 3 Nov. I setup XAMPP and then install Vbulletin. There has been no customization except for the Banner logo. I started running the forum on the 4 Nov and there hasn't been any customization or installing 3rd party add-ons. I tried to remove header banner just now but I don't seen to be able to find the menu / file for this.

I could not recalled seeing any error messages until the weekend of 7-8 Nov. When I saw the errors, the users also feedback to me that they are seeing it too.

I followed your instructions for console text and found the error message " 200 parsererror SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0" appeared for these instances:-

(1) Save post
              (2) Save Blog
              (3) Save Article
              (4) Save Group Topic (Note that save Group is OK, no error message)

Also, editing and saving my own or user's profiles are OK too, no error message. Please find attached console text files.

(Audio)
              Attached Files

Comment