Clear All

• Site down 404 error

1. vBulletin Version - 5.5.6
    2. PHP Version - 7.2.30
    3. MySQL Version - Under server variables > version, it says 5.7.28-log
    4. Any Addons installed.
    5. Does the issue occur in a default style? Yes
    6. Does the issue occur using the English language provided? Yes
    7. Error message on the screen. Not Found. The requested URL was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    8. Browser and Browser version used. - Safari 13.1.2, also happens the latest version of Chrome
    9. Did you clear the browser cache and did the error continue? Yes
    10. A list of steps that can be used to recreate the issue... Only our home page is viewable (although with the banner corrupted), clicking on any links will take you to the above error message. Homepage: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
    I was on our site this morning around 5.30/6.00am and when I went back on around 9.30/10.00am the site was down and none of the pages accessible as described above.

One of our admins has been in touch with the site host and they said it seems to be working but none of us can access anything other than the home page. We can't get into the Admin CP.

Our admin says she has access to the server through the admin from the host and through SSH. She probably has access to the database too, through PHP my admin. We have a back up from a couple of months ago. She says it feels like there was a root setting changed in the admin panel, but doesn't know how that could suddenly happen. Like there was something changed in the root URL writing.

Do you have any ideas/tips or suggestions of how we could undo it when we don't have access to the panel?
    Last edited by Rosely; Thu 8 Oct '20, 2:45pm.

Did you edit your .htaccess file? It must contain these lines:

Code:
      # Main Redirect
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|png|css)$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
      RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?routestring=$1 [L,QSA]
    If you have any extra directories in your /forums/ directory, it can break things if not handled properly.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Rosely
      Rosely commented
      Editing a comment
      Not knowingly myself. I don't know about the other mods/admins but I will pass on your suggestion, thank you.

Okay our admin has had a look and has said, "No one has edited this to her knowledge and she doesn’t see the .htaccessfile in the directory!"

Should we just create a new .htaccess file?

Comment

Do you have an .htaccess file in the route directory? Does it include rewrites?

If so you should set the RewriteBase value in the provided .htaccess. The instructions are in the file.

Wayne Luke
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Wayne Luke Thank you for your help with this. You pointed us in the right direction in finding the .htaccess file was the issue and our admin has been able to sort it out now and we're back online again. Really appreciated your guidance.

Comment

Wayne Luke I tried to contact vBulletin sales to see if there are options for expanding our existing vBulletin 5 to include more direct administration and technical help. The confirmation email I received from vBulletin that contained a link to confirm the request failed, it just went to a 404 error page saying the link was outdated! Can you point me to where I can contact someone to see if this is possible?

Comment

The link should work. It is a bug with a recent site update that it preventing that.

You should be able to open a ticket in your member's area or clicking "Contact Us" in the footer below.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Rosely
              Rosely commented
              Editing a comment
              That's great. Thank you.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            The link should work. It is a bug with a recent site update that it preventing that.

You should be able to open a ticket in your member's area or clicking "Contact Us" in the footer below.
            This still hasn't worked. I sent the message using 'contact us' and got the same confirmation link that again went to a failed page. I tried to log in to the members area as a registered user with the same details used to log in here and it wouldn't accept the login details (is there a chance this is the site login information rather than our admin/mod registration here?). All I want to do is send an email to sales about increasing support and I can't manage it. I can't understand why this is so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosely View Post

This still hasn't worked. I sent the message using 'contact us' and got the same confirmation link that again went to a failed page. I tried to log in to the members area as a registered user with the same details used to log in here and it wouldn't accept the login details (is there a chance this is the site login information rather than our admin/mod registration here?). All I want to do is send an email to sales about increasing support and I can't manage it. I can't understand why this is so hard.
              Its a bug in the system. It takes time to get fixed, tested, and deployed. Nothing is instant.

If you use the email address on your customer account to start your support request then no link to confirm should be required.

You log into the member's area with your customer ID or email and the password used on the main site. It will not accept your forum credentials. This has always been the case. The main site is a separate entity and runs on separate servers.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 14 Oct '20, 9:32am.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Rosely
                Rosely commented
                Editing a comment
                Okay thank you, I'll see if I can track down the details.