Add "needed subscription" button to continue reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add "needed subscription" button to continue reading

I have a question and i don't know if it is even possible (i hope so).

I would like to add the possibility of scrambling the rest of my posts (after a few lines) for users of my forum which do not have an active subscription. Is that possible? So they need an active subscription to continue reading.

Hope this is possible

Originally posted by BigY View Post
    I have a question and i don't know if it is even possible (i hope so).

I would like to add the possibility of scrambling the rest of my posts (after a few lines) for users of my forum which do not have an active subscription. Is that possible? So they need an active subscription to continue reading.

Hope this is possible
    This would require custom coding. There is no feature to do this in the software.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Is vBulletin doing custom coding for members?

Comment

There is an addon at https://vbmods.rocks that provides this functionality. I am not sure how active the site is anymore.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Yeah, i already found that one, but it looks like it has been abandoned by the developer. His last post was from february this year. I hope he is well looking at the current situation in the world.

Nonetheless, i wonder why there is such a lack of mod coding for vb5. Is it harder? I used vb3 in the past and there were tons of mods for it back then.

Comment

vBulletin 5 has moved to object oriented programming. So it is more difficult for some people to pick up. Instead of writing a few lines of code and sticking it in a database record, there are rules to object oriented programming that needs to be followed. Add to that that many of the features people created addons for have been added to the software in the 16 years since vBulletin 3 was released reduces the amount of addons needed.

Not sure how much that addon really needs. I know several people still use it. Though most people still use the permission system to restrict access to content.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks for explanation. Are you willing to share how i can restrict access to content for guest users? I never really used the permission system as i always worked with mods in the past and it is the first time i really am using vb5 since i have my license for 7 years lol.

Comment

There are several permissions to restrict content.

"Can View Channel" - Set this to no and guests will not see the channel at all.
                "Can View Topic Content" - Users can see the channel if the above is set to yes and can see topic titles but cannot see any of the actual content in the topic. Clicking on a topic will present them with a form to login or register.
                "Can View Other's Topics" - If set to No, they can only see content they create.

You can set these on a channel by channel basis but children (i.e. channels under Forums) will inherit from their parents if they aren't already customized. You can set these under Channel Management -> Channel Permissions in the AdminCP. I recommend not changing the permissions on the Home Channel.

If you need an announcement that they can't view the content. You can place a Notice on the screen and have it available only to that usergroup. Or you can use a Static HTML Module and restrict it to the usergroup(s) that cannot see the content using the Module Permissions.
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 8 Sep '20, 10:26am.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment