Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Litespeed with vbulletin

Hello,

What about using litespeed with vbulletin, is it better than apache and memacached?

Thanx

UP

vbulletin is supporting apache, is the same with litespeed, I am still in trial period and need your help and recommendation to decide

Comment

There is no reason Litespeed shouldn’t work.

Please note that our licenses do not have trial periods.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• Blackhorse
        Blackhorse commented
        Editing a comment
        Trial period for litespesd with 15 days

You've been here long enough to know support doesn't work weekends.

The last I knew LiteSpeed had a few issues.

It's proprietary and not open source.

php suexec configurations conflict with opcache so you need to use memcached either way.

The whole "twice the speed, half the resources" thing sounds great but, in reality, you can only get as much out of a server as the slowest link in the chain.

Unless you're running some kind of commercial grade server you probably won't even notice a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
        You've been here long enough to know support doesn't work weekends.

The last I knew LiteSpeed had a few issues.

It's proprietary and not open source.

php suexec configurations conflict with opcache so you need to use memcached either way.

The whole "twice the speed, half the resources" thing sounds great but, in reality, you can only get as much out of a server as the slowest link in the chain.

Unless you're running some kind of commercial grade server you probably won't even notice a difference.
        Question for all especially those with experience with litespeed not just for support. We need to understand if it would be any better with performance and the confusing google new standards.

I really beleive internet has no borders or definition of holidays : )

I am on apache for 15 years, but planning for litespeed lscache "the monthly subscription of about $26 ". They give 15 days trial, i started the trial yesterday.

I asked about opcache and they said as it is working with php then no issue. I don't know really about that conflict suexec you mentioned. I will ask and search more about it.

I am already using memcached and they said it should work also well with litespeed.

Litespeed is addon on apache in WHM, and use its configuration.

I didn't use opcache.

So, In Omnibus are you advising against leaving apache?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhorse View Post

Question for all especially those with experience with litespeed not just for support. We need to understand if it would be any better with performance and the confusing google new standards.

I really beleive internet has no borders or definition of holidays : )

I am on apache for 15 years, but planning for litespeed lscache "the monthly subscription of about $26 ". They give 15 days trial, i started the trial yesterday.

I asked about opcache and they said as it is working with php then no issue. I don't know really about that conflict suexec you mentioned. I will ask and search more about it.

I am already using memcached and they said it should work also well with litespeed.

Litespeed is addon on apache in WHM, and use its configuration.

I didn't use opcache.

So, In Omnibus are you advising against leaving apache?

Thank you
          No, I am just giving you my personal experience with LiteSpeed. I am using a server with two AMD EPYC 7702 CPUs and 2 TB of DDR4 RAM and I barely noticed a difference when I tested LiteSpeed last year. I had to disable suexec and reenable memcached to get it to work at all. I can't speak as to how it will work or not work for you. Most of the reviews I read on it said you had to be using 32 cores to notice a real difference but I'm using 64 and couldn't really tell enough of a difference to bother. That's on a forum with over 50,000 active users on Sundays.

It wasn't even an add on when I tested it. You had to convert cPanel entirely. If you test this and it works well make sure and let us know. There's really no way to benchmark it against Apache without first benchmarking one and then the other and even then it's impossible to guarantee identical test conditions.

Comment

If you have Lightspeed configured to use Apache's .HTACCESS rewrites, then yes it should work. However, we do not test or develop with Lightspeed in mind due to its low marketshare.

Lightspeed would not necessarily negate the need for Memcached to hold parts of vBulletin's database caching. It doesn't replace that.

I didn't use opcache.
            Why not? This holds your pre-parsed PHP as bytecode in the server's memory the first time it is used. This is done with almost no additional overhead since the code has to be compiled anyway. Using compiled script is going to be faster than compiling it every page load. This is a big part of the performance increases in PHP 7.X and even more so in PHP 8. In PHP 7.4, you can even tell PHP to preload files that you're going to use frequently and cache them. So you could preload the vb.phar file and have it compiled and ready to go before the first page is loaded.

Reading the rest of your post, I think it would be more prudent to get Apache, MySQL, and PHP optimized on your server before adding additional components on top of that.
            Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 7 Sep '20, 10:04am.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

No, I am just giving you my personal experience with LiteSpeed. I am using a server with two AMD EPYC 7702 CPUs and 2 TB of DDR4 RAM and I barely noticed a difference when I tested LiteSpeed last year. I had to disable suexec and reenable memcached to get it to work at all. I can't speak as to how it will work or not work for you. Most of the reviews I read on it said you had to be using 32 cores to notice a real difference but I'm using 64 and couldn't really tell enough of a difference to bother. That's on a forum with over 50,000 active users on Sundays.

It wasn't even an add on when I tested it. You had to convert cPanel entirely. If you test this and it works well make sure and let us know. There's really no way to benchmark it against Apache without first benchmarking one and then the other and even then it's impossible to guarantee identical test conditions.
              Thank you In Omnibus, I will keep using memcached with Litespeed, I don't use su-exc.

i will give a try and wait and see, if any problem, then as said, it is an addon added to apache, and can be removed, not as previous days.

I will update you once I have time experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                If you have Lightspeed configured to use Apache's .HTACCESS rewrites, then yes it should work. However, we do not test or develop with Lightspeed in mind due to its low marketshare.

Lightspeed would not necessarily negate the need for Memcached to hold parts of vBulletin's database caching. It doesn't replace that.

Why not? This holds your pre-parsed PHP as bytecode in the server's memory the first time it is used. This is done with almost no additional overhead since the code has to be compiled anyway. Using compiled script is going to be faster than compiling it every page load. This is a big part of the performance increases in PHP 7.X and even more so in PHP 8. In PHP 7.4, you can even tell PHP to preload files that you're going to use frequently and cache th em. So you could preload the vb.phar file and have it compiled and ready to go before the first page is loaded.

Reading the rest of your post, I think it would be more prudent to get Apache, MySQL, and PHP optimized on your server before adding additional components on top of that.
                Thank you Wayne for your guidance and ongoing help. I was mistaken to m ention opcache not used, I found out it is enabled and used yes on Apache server, and now then on the trial litespeed
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image_76973.png
Views:	61
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	4447031

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

---
                  In PHP 7.4, you can even tell PHP to preload files that you're going to use frequently and cache them. So you could preload the vb.phar file and have it compiled and ready to go before the first page is loaded.

Could you please refer me to step by step guide to do this preload to phar file?
                  If any documentation or once you find time please, to help us with that.
                  I will go ahead with litespeed for awhile, using opcache, memcache and soon preload after i get your help.
                  If i see there is no real improvement then i return back to apache.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhorse View Post

Could you please refer me to step by step guide to do this preload to phar file?
                    First result in Google for "pre-load files with PHP 7.4" - https://stitcher.io/blog/preloading-in-php-74
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X