Duplicate Uploads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate Uploads

Something I've noticed. There no longer seems to be any checking on duplicate uploads like in the past. If I'm uploading a gallery of 100 (15 at a time) and it fails. I count to see where I left off but many times the count is wrong. Example today I uploaded a set of 107 actual however after several failures I ended up with 119 in the gallery. Trying to remove the dupes is near impossible because the thumbs are too small. Easily solution skip the duplicate names when posting.

Attached Files

Comment

This is actually by design because customers asked for it during early vBulletin 5.X development.

What size are your thumbnails? You can increase their size in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Image Settings. Other than that, willing to hear ideas on improving the interface that can be made into issue reports for development.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        This is actually by design because customers asked for it during early vBulletin 5.X development.
        Customers wanted to have more than one of the same image in a gallery / attachment in the same post?? That defies any sort of logic. Even in a different post I'd have a hard time understanding why. That's like reading a book with 17 pages of the letter "J".

Comment

It was possible to reuse images in vBulletin 4 using the Attachment Manager. They wanted the same functionality in vBulletin 5. However since each photo is a child-node, it couldn't be shared so the ability for uploading duplicates was developed. I suspect some people who use Articles will reuse article banners (a common practice) across different articles. It just carries over to Photo Galleries. However, we hadn't received a lot of inquiries about duplicate photo galleries. I'll admit that most people don't allow 100+ images in a single gallery. Maybe 10 to 20. So your situation is unique.

Not sure why it isn't uploading all the files, but I suspect that it is a PHP configuration issue. Most servers aren't configured to upload 100+ files at once.

Doesn't answer my request for interface enhancements that can be implemented to improve the situation. Really need to know what you want here.
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 27 Jul '20, 11:42am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Wayne. Okay I can understand sharing an image across multiple posts, articles and blogs for those reasons. In vb4 yes the asset manager did do that but it also had a switch to not allow dupe attachments within the same post. I don't think it ever stopped dupes across 2 post though. I just tested it on vb4. You can't upload the same image more than once in a single post, however in a reply you can add it again.

I need to think about this because its really between posts in a single topic that we're having the issue.

Comment

Not sure why it isn't uploading all the files, but I suspect that it is a PHP configuration issue. Most servers aren't configured to upload 100+ files at once.

Doesn't answer my request for interface enhancements that can be implemented to improve the situation. Really need to know what you want here.
              We talked about this in another thread https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...ploads-failing

These posts are related but different. I suppose if uploads were working correctly my new issue would not be a problem.

Comment

To be reasonable to other users. I'd suggest for a simple solution. A admincp option. Allow duplicate uploads, Do not allow duplicate uploads (in same topic). Between posts in a topic just won't work.

Comment

Disabling duplicate uploads, even in the same topic, is a bad idea for a lot of sites. In fact, some sites are built around the idea of users all uploading the same content to see who has the best quality copy. With others it happens accidentally because people have different types of the same content. The only way to know if content is duplicate is to look at it. It can be the same name, file type, dimensions, and size and contain different content. So, upon what criteria should this be based?

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
                    Disabling duplicate uploads, even in the same topic, is a bad idea for a lot of sites. In fact, some sites are built around the idea of users all uploading the same content to see who has the best quality copy. With others it happens accidentally because people have different types of the same content. The only way to know if content is duplicate is to look at it. It can be the same name, file type, dimensions, and size and contain different content. So, upon what criteria should this be based?
                    Don't be daft. They'd have at least a different file name, byte count or all sorts of other differences that could be checked.

Comment

Originally posted by spiderweb View Post

Don't be daft. They'd have at least a different file name, byte count or all sorts of other differences that could be checked.
                      No, they don't always. I can give you a practical example. An art palette. Colors can be labeled exactly the same and be different.

Every color has a hexidecimal value, a CMYK value, a Pantone value, a RGB value, a HSL value, a HSV value, a XXY value, a Hunter Lab value, a CIE Lab value, a binary value, an octal value, etc.

While, theoretically, these should all be identical practically they are not. So, you could have twelve color chips named gold that are all named "gold" which are different colors depending on the source. They could all be the same dimensions and the same size because typically they would be one inch and 1200 DPI. The only way to tell them apart is by looking.

It's also entirely possible to have two identical files that would never be detected as such by automated means.

So, what you really need is a way to view all of the attachments in a node and see if they are duplicates.

Suggestions are far more likely to get implemented if they can be shown to be valuable to every customer, or at least a large number of customers.

Comment

Tellling people they are "daft" just because their use case doesn't concur with yours isn't really on. Every site is different.

You're posting as if it's some sort of disgrace that duplicate images are able to be uploaded. As Wayne has already explained, this was based on actual customer feedback. Appreciate it doesn't suit your site but that's no reason to insult other customers.
                        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.2 Demo
                        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Detecting exact duplicate uploads isn't very difficult. You would simply have to hash the file and compare hashes with the ones already stored. If the hash exists, then it is most likely a duplicate. This is actually one of the original purposes of the MD5 and SHA256 hashing algorithms. Modified images with different quality would have different hashes. The system doesn't need to actually know what is in the image. So that really isn't an issue.

The difficulty would be handling use cases where exact duplicate uploads are desired as well.

Duplicate is different from Image Matching.

What would need to be known is what is actually desired here.

1. Don't allow duplicate images? This would most likely have to result in an error that is displayed to the user so they can adjust the image. Make it 1 pixel smaller, fade out the colors a bit, convert it to jpeg etc... then they can upload it. To prevent all this, you need image matching and AI datasets which will be beyond the capabilities of most customers. Errors disrupt uploads as well so it may be frustrating to end users.

2. Provide a method to for moderators to delete duplicate images? This is possible and probably the easiest to deal with. Though, you can already delete these images in a Gallery by clicking the 'X' in the upper right corner when uploading images, it should be available through other means as well.

3. Something else....

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B

Tellling people they are "daft" just because their use case doesn't concur with yours isn't really on. Every site is different.

You're posting as if it's some sort of disgrace that duplicate images are able to be uploaded. As Wayne has already explained, this was based on actual customer feedback. Appreciate it doesn't suit your site but that's no reason to insult other customers.
                            Yes, I’m sorry you are correct. My apologies.

Comment

Detecting exact duplicate uploads isn't very difficult. You would simply have to hash the file and compare hashes with the ones already stored. If the hash exists, then it is most likely a duplicate. This is actually one of the original purposes of the MD5 and SHA256 hashing algorithms. Modified images with different quality would have different hashes. The system doesn't need to actually know what is in the image. So that really isn't an issue.

The difficulty would be handling use cases where exact duplicate uploads are desired as well.

Duplicate is different from Image Matching.

What would need to be known is what is actually desired here.

1. Don't allow duplicate images? This would most likely have to result in an error that is displayed to the user so they can adjust the image. Make it 1 pixel smaller, fade out the colors a bit, convert it to jpeg etc... then they can upload it. To prevent all this, you need image matching and AI datasets which will be beyond the capabilities of most customers. Errors disrupt uploads as well so it may be frustrating to end users.

2. Provide a method to for moderators to delete duplicate images? This is possible and probably the easiest to deal with. Though, you can already delete these images in a Gallery by clicking the 'X' in the upper right corner when uploading images, it should be available through other means as well.

3. Something else....
                              Wayne. When you look at how vb5 presents Galleries in a topic (multiple posts). The Lightbox treats all the posts within a topic as one Gallery. When attachments are presented each post stands alone. On my computer within a directory if I try to add a duplicate file I receive an error. Surely the default rule in a gallery should follow the same reasoning. That same reasoning would allow for duplicates in each blog, article etc that might require the same image as each one is a separate topic.

In my mind just skipping duplicate uploads like vb4 did would be ideal and not bother posters.

I honestly don't have an answer. I know though that mods having to delete duplicate images is something I'd get a lot of flack on.

Comment