Old iPad issues since latest upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old iPad issues since latest upgrade

We’ve had 3 members using old iPads report that since the latest upgrade they can no longer log in to our forum or are having problems

we are on Cloud

I’m still trying to find out what version OS they are using. 2 have cleared cache but it’s not helped.

one tried requesting a password reset but got a page of characters and a message about recapcha - that’s all they could remember, I’ve asked for a screen shot

one logs in but just gets a spinning wheel and “logging in” They have cleared cache and cookies.

One can post but after posting gets a white screen with node ID and nothing else. They then have to go back to the page and find the thread to see if their post is there, and it is but that’s a frustrating way to post.

Any ideas?

George Bernard Shaw

Update: one is using iPad version 9.3.5 (13G36) they’ve cleared cache and cookies.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post
      Update: one is using iPad version 9.3.5 (13G36) they’ve cleared cache and cookies.
      I had one user report the same thing on a old Ipad.
      Did this work?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Peabody View Post

I had one user report the same thing on a old Ipad.
        Did this work?
        No nothing is working for them at the moment, none of them can access the forum

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I checked it on my old mini iPad (ios 9.3.5) - it is impossible to log in.

Comment

Originally posted by elektro-kot View Post
            I checked it on my old mini iPad (ios 9.3.5) - it is impossible to log in.
            Thanks for confirming that it’s not just us.

Will await support returning from their holiday.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I don't know if we can even say we support iOS 9.3.5 anymore. In the iOS world, that is ancient. Apple doesn't even support iOS 9.3.5. The version of Safari on these devices is probably struggling with newer code. Unfortunately, even if you install Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox on iOS they are required to use the Safari engine on the device. This engine is tied to the version number of iOS and cannot be updated separately.

It is most likely due to the way JavaScript is compiled now. We were using the YUI compiler before 5.6.2. Aside from being very old code, YUI is no longer in development and hasn't been for quite a few years now. Unfortunately, it doesn't handle modern Javascript very well, especially ECMAScript 6 formatting (released in 2015). So we switched to the Google Closure Compiler. Though it can also be due to upgrading to jQuery 3.4.1 which was required for security purposes.

Is the user stuck on this version or can they upgrade? Though it may be hard to find signed versions before iOS 13.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Wayne Luke Thanks Wayne, appreciate you replying during your holiday.

sadly no, they cannot upgrade further on these devices but it’s bound to happen that one day devices become too old to support.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I just had my first issue like this with a member today. At least I knew what questions to ask him. Between the IE and now this, it affected quite a few folks

Comment

I am sorry. It is a constant issue in balancing the creation of better software and supporting older technology.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I understand that things move on but it’s sad, especially in the current situation, as we have several elderly members who can no longer access our site and we were a lifeline for contact and chat during lockdown, one is a transplant patient who still cannot go out, I feel for them now trapped without their daily chat.

They've got an old laptop they are trying and can get on, albeit painfully slow, but they can only reply to threads, they don’t have the new post button to start a new one!

I realise it’s down to old equipment but not everyone can afford the latest gizmo.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post
                        I understand that things move on but it’s sad, especially in the current situation, as we have several elderly members who can no longer access our site and we were a lifeline for contact and chat during lockdown, one is a transplant patient who still cannot go out, I feel for them now trapped without their daily chat.

They've got an old laptop they are trying and can get on, albeit painfully slow, but they can only reply to threads, they don’t have the new post button to start a new one!

I realise it’s down to old equipment but not everyone can afford the latest gizmo.
                        Apple need their share of the blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Peabody View Post

Apple need their share of the blame.
                          Very true.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Another thing comes to mind in all of this. Yes we all understand that vb5 is the latest software, but there are competing forums for us that either use a different product or an older version of vb, such as 4. It seems that they stay stagnant with what they have, and because of that all the bugs are worked out of it. Am I wrong in this thinking? This makes it hard for the affected users to understand why from there point of view, which results in a loss of members for us. The attitude is screw them because my device works perfectly on the other sites.
                            Last edited by Carrfixr; Wed 8 Jul '20, 3:38am.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrfixr View Post
                              Another thing comes to mind in all of this. Yes we all understand that vb5 is the latest software, but there are competing forums for us that either use a different product or an older version of vb, such as 4. This makes it hard for the affected users to understand why from there point of view, which results in a loss of members for us. The attitude is screw them because my device works perfectly on the other forums.
                              Yes we’ve had similar comments that other forums work OK and Facebook works on their old device etc.

I just say we have to go with the most secure options to keep their data safe.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment