Add URL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Bug / Issue] Add URL

Why is is only some URLs when added via the "post link" interface show a preview?

It is really going to come down to the structure of the requested link and whether it returns a properly formatted page or not. vBulletin will try to extract data from things like the title and description if possible. If it can't it will just create a blank link instead of creating an error.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

💙 cool

Comment

Is there potential to increase the amount returned more like how FaceBook does?

Comment

The system will pull the URL, Page Title, Page Meta Description, and a Thumbnail/Logo Image (if it can find one). If the page provides that information than it will be shown.

The code could always be changed to look elsewhere for page text but that can get expensive in processing.
          Build a community website with the leading forum software, vBulletin 5 Connect, or in the cloud on vB Cloud!

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Wayne. I've played with this and I like it the way it is. Less is more in this case I believe.

Comment

I think it can be improved and some special cases like Twitter Embeds and Spotify Playlist support should be added. It should also look for open graph meta tags to get information as well. It would also be nice if it could be expanded with REGEX like the Video BBCode. Maybe have an option for Thumbnail Image size or make the image size match the video thumbnail.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                I think it can be improved and some special cases like Twitter Embeds and Spotify Playlist support should be added. It should also look for open graph meta tags to get information as well. It would also be nice if it could be expanded with REGEX like the Video BBCode. Maybe have an option for Thumbnail Image size or make the image size match the video thumbnail.
                I feel like there are good use cases both ways but definitely favor having the options over not having them.

Comment