No announcement yet.

Merging Threads Technical Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We merge threads for reasons not listed above. Important info gets grouped into technical threads in a sub forum. With each new addition into a group there is a link to the original thread, and a new heading made on the post . The users original thread is still intact and not touched, so nobody gets mad. Yes there are search and related topics available but this helps us immensely. Example:
    Someone is looking for interior install info. We have a sub forum under Body related things and a tech thread for interiors. There may be 10 different threads merged into that interior thread. As mentioned with each new merging a title and link is provided.
    This works for us and the folks love it. Since it is an option to use in VB5 it should work properly...
    btw. I usually use the copy vs the merge. Copy still brings the threads together

If you want to prevent them from turning into comments just COPY each post one at a time
    Last edited by Carrfixr; Tue 9 Jun '20, 7:45am.

Comment

• Carrfixr
      Carrfixr commented
      Editing a comment
      Another hiccup is when copying a thread to another the replies that turn into comments double. Yes two of each. After copying we have to go back in and delete all the doubles that showed. Another reason to copy one at a time

• Wayne Luke
      Wayne Luke commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't select the replies/comments to copy. Just select the parent and they will move with it. When you select them, you're telling the system to copy the parent and all the "replies" to it, plus all these selected "replies"

• Carrfixr
      Carrfixr commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay I see.. That stops them from being duplicated, good tip. The reply's that turn into comments still get deleted, and then i'll move one reply at a time so they are not comments

We're willing to change how things work if customers can articulate and agree on a new methodology. There is an open issue on this already. We simply don't have a better solution at this time.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I copied a thread yesterday to another forum. The user had 6 post counts. Then I deleted the copied thread after his item sold, and the post count went to one. He had one post after it was copied so that is why it went back to that. I had to artificially go in and change it back to six, since the original posting is still up

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        Wayne Luke commented
        Editing a comment
        This would actually be a different issue in that copying a topic isn't increasing the user's posts. It isn't related to the structure of merged threads.

Originally posted by Carrfixr View Post
      I copied a thread yesterday to another forum. The user had 6 post counts. Then I deleted the copied thread after his item sold, and the post count went to one. He had one post after it was copied so that is why it went back to that. I had to artificially go in and change it back to six, since the original posting is still up
      I know there are people who will disagree on this but I'd like to be able to hide post counts. People get way too hung up on how many posts they have and not nearly hung up enough on whether or not their posts are of any value to the community.

Comment

• Carrfixr
        Carrfixr commented
        Editing a comment
        And pictures add to a post count. So one reply with 4 pictures increases that single post by 5

• Carrfixr
        Carrfixr commented
        Editing a comment
        I have my moderating promotion set at 4 posts. So if a new user makes one post with some pics they are moved up.

We are fine just moving the posts. Of course now i have another issue. lol When creating a new account i get this...

​​​​​​
      "Sorry, the registration has been disabled by administrator"

Ill just create a new thread for it in a little bit.

Comment

My bad it looks like it was because i was using a VPN.

Comment