Clear All

• Admin Settings for Stop Forum Spam

Hello!

I turned on the spam check option during registration on my forum
    The "Stop Forum Spam" settings prompts says:

Code:
    Detecting spammers at registration requires
    nothing extra to be done but submitting spammers to the service requires
    an API key, which can be retrieved from <a href="http://www.stopforumspam.com">www.stopforumspam.com</a>.
    Now questions:

1) Do I understand correctly that an API key is not required for verification only on register step?
    2) If the API key is installed, then how can I send a report to the Stop Forum Spam database? I mean, where and when can I see the option to send a report to the Stop Forum Spam database?

You don't need the API key for SFS to tell you what they already know is spam.

You need the API key to tell SFS what they don't already know is spam.

So, if SFS misses something that is spam and you delete it as spam it will only tell SFS that it was spam if you have the API key.

This is automatic. It's not something you do manually outside of the normal functions of spam management within vBulletin.

Comment

Ок. Thank you for your reply.

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

So, if SFS misses something that is spam and you delete it as spam it will only tell SFS that it was spam if you have the API key.

This is automatic. It's not something you do manually outside of the normal functions of spam management within vBulletin.
      Do I understand correctly that if the API key is installed, a report will be sent about any deleted message?

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
      and you delete it as spam
      Delete as spam - is this some kind of option during moderation? Very often I have to delete messages on my forum that are not spam, but they do not correspond to the subject. Will reports be sent when these messages are deleted?
      Last edited by elektro-kot; Sun 31 May '20, 6:32am.

Comment

Originally posted by elektro-kot View Post
        Delete as spam - is this some kind of option during moderation? Very often I have to delete messages on my forum that are not spam, but they do not correspond to the subject. Will reports be sent when these messages are deleted?
        When you delete posts, you would have to check the box that says "Submit data to Anti-Spam Service". If you have a SFS API key, then the software will submit the Username, IP Address, and Email Address to StopForumSpam. If you have an Akismet API key, then the software will submit the content of the post to Akismet. The software just submits the data. How it is handled at the service depends on their own internal algorithms.

The checkbox may not appear if you do not have either API Key entered into the SPAM Management options.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

The checkbox may not appear if you do not have either API Key entered into the SPAM Management options.
          Thank you Wayne.
          That is the question ...

I have the API key for Stop Forum Spam (for SFS only, I do not use Akismet), got it and specified it in admincp / spam settings, but checkbox "Submit data to Anti-Spam Service" does not appear when i delete messages (please see the screenshot).

Click image for larger version  Name:	m_del.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.4 KB ID:	4441626

What could be the issue? Should I enter a API key for Akismet too?
          Last edited by elektro-kot; Mon 1 Jun '20, 9:19am.

Comment

If you really want to protect your site from SPAM, then I suggest using Akismet and StopForumSpam. Akismet scans content as it is created. If the content is marked as spam, it will be moderated until deleted or approved by a moderator.

I haven't actually looked at the code but StopForumSpam was added later so might not trigger the box.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              If you really want to protect your site from SPAM, then I suggest using Akismet and StopForumSpam. Akismet scans content as it is created. If the content is marked as spam, it will be moderated until deleted or approved by a moderator.
              Ok, thank you for the info, Wayne

Originally posted by Wayne
              I haven't actually looked at the code but StopForumSpam was added later so might not trigger the box.
              I checked that., the checkbox is enabled after adding the Akismet API key only. SFS API key does not triger the chekbox.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X