Install frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install frustration

I created a db in the cpanel, assigned a user to it, uploaded files to my public_html, modified the config file, etc. Installed the forums and it seemed to go fine. I then removed the install directory...

It asked for an admin username & password, which I provided.

I then went to log in via my admin account and it just hangs... I tried registering a general username and it just hangs...

I have vbulletin working on another server at an OLD location. I want a fresh install on a new server at a NEW location.

To do that, I altered the host file in order to configure to have the IP point to the url so I can install and configure the NEW forums before changing the dns away from the OLD vbulletin forums (I do not want to import the db from the old location. I want a fresh install)

I've spent hours working on this and am fed up...

I'm sure I've done something wrong, somewhere.

Need help. Thanks

What do you mean by "hangs?" Are you getting a white screen?

What versions of SQL and PHP are you running?

Comment

php Version information: 4.9.4
      web server PHP version: 7.3.6
      Server version: 5.6.47 - MySQL Community Server (GPL)

It hangs... I "log in" and it just stays on the login screen and won't go passed it.

Thanks

Comment

Did you rename the htaccess file to .htaccess?

Did you rename the config.php.bkp file to config.php?

Comment

Yes, on both the htaccess and config.php files. I'm wondering if it has something to do with not going directly to the real domain but going to the ip address of the new location via a redirect in the host file. But, I don't know.

Comment

If you did not update the hosts file on the new server, then the web client/app will send AJAX requests to your old server and things will break. Login is done via an AJAX Request in 5.6.0 and higher.

The easiest course of action is to install with the IP Address and use that for configuration and testing. Then when you're ready to transfer DNS follow these steps:
            1. Turn vBulletin Off on the old server.
            2. Update the DNS.
            3. Update the URL of vBulletin on your new server to the proper domain name.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment