Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Server Config] ImageMagick update problem

Re: Image attachment processing with ImageMagick

I have a dedicated server running CentOS 7 64-bit with WHM/CPanel and in recent weeks routine maintenance updates to WHM have been problematical. The problem appears to centre around ImageMagick.

Our vBulletin sites will work normally with an older version of ImageMagick but this prevents WHM from updating.

If the hosting company manually updates ImageMagick to the latest version then vBulletin can no longer find ImageMagick (or Imagick). The hosting company is 100% certain that the newer version of ImageMagick is installed correctly so I am wondering if ImageMagick has changed in a way that makes it work differently with vBulletin?

When the new version of ImageMagic is installed I get (Options > Image Settings):

ImageMagick exec error found: sh: /usr/local/bin/identify: no such file or directory

and

Failed to automatically validate that the Imagick PHP extension is installed and configured correctly for PDF to JPG conversion. Please refer to the "Test Imagick Extension" section in the diagnostics page for more information.

Reinstalling the older version of ImageMagick fixes the ImageMagick not found problem.

The versions used are:

ImageMagick 6.9.4-1 Q16 x86_64 2016-10-13 (works)

7.0.10-13 (doesn't work)

Something about PHP versions above 7.0 (I think) was mentioned as a contributing factor. We're running PHP 7.2

Any help on this will be much-appreciated.

I also wonder if this issue is related to this topic:

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...d-is-corrupted

The same error is seen by users when trying to upload attachments.

I will have to see if we have tested with ImageMagick 7. None of our servers use WHM/cPanel though. This site is using ImageMagick 6.9.10.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

After speaking with the developers, it is believed that we have never tested ImageMagick 7.X. It is recommended not to use it at this time. I've created a development task to test vBulletin with ImageMagick 7.X.

https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-20314

You might be able to work around this by pointing to the magick executable within vBulletin. Or making calls to identify and convert link to magick. There may be an option to install the legacy executables and they will link to the magick executable. You would have to discuss this with the hosting provider. I base this on some Google searches and not testing or experience.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Thu 21 May '20, 10:25am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

As Wayne said, we have not yet tested imagemagick 7, but I just wanted to chime in on these two errors :
        Originally posted by imager View Post
        Re: Image attachment processing with ImageMagick
        ImageMagick exec error found: sh: /usr/local/bin/identify: no such file or directory

and

Failed to automatically validate that the Imagick PHP extension is installed and configured correctly for PDF to JPG conversion. Please refer to the "Test Imagick Extension" section in the diagnostics page for more information.
        The first is if using "ImageMagick 6" and identify & convert execs were not found in the path specified by the "ImageMagick Binary Path" setting. You may be able to resolve the error by updating that setting to wherever identify & convert for imagemagick 7 is, though other things may break due to the code being written for imagemagick 6.

The second error does not necessarily mean that "Imagick (PHP extension)" will not work, but "Enable PDF Thumbnails" will not work. PDF thumbnailing requires a proper delegate (e.g. ghostscript) to be installed & imagemagick configured to look for that delegate to process PDFs. However, such a delegate may not be available on all servers, and disabling the option should not affect other image processing.
        You could try disabling "Enable PDF Thumbnails" with the processing library set to "Imagick (PHP extension)" and 1) see if the diagnostics page shows any other errors then 2) upload an image and see if there are any issues (with thumbnails, for example).
        If you do end up trying out imagemagick 7 with the PHP extension, we would appreciate it if you can report any findings to https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-20314 !

Comment

Thanks for the detailed responses - I will spend time examining them and let you know if I make any progress.

Comment

I came across this which seems very close to the experience I have had - is this meaningful at all?

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/pr...magick.573221/

Comment

My hosting company is going to experiment with ImageMagick by possibly moving it to the path that vBulletin expects to find it in because it seems that its default location has changed?

Comment

Is the option of Imagick (PHP Extension) for versions of ImageMagick greater then v.6?

Comment

No. It is for ImageMagick 6 at this time. We haven't tested with Imagemagick 7.

Wayne Luke

Comment

OK, it's beyond my technical capability but they say that the new version of ImageMagick is now working after rearranging the file locations and it certainly seems to be effective. PDF attachment thumbnails is still throwing up an error at this stage.

I'm told that ImageMagick 6 will increasingly become a security concern if it's not updated and I guess that I'm not unique in experiencing this problem so I would think it's time to start looking at ImageMagick 7

I understand that Imagick is designed to integrate with PHP better - should I be using that anyway?

Comment

Eventually, we will remove the direct calls to the Imagemagick executables. That is also a security risk. There is already an issue to test with ImageMagick 7 in the future. It isn't going to happen overnight.

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X