Public Groups visibility issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Groups visibility issue

I’m trying to set up groups as Public (visible to guests and search engines) similar to simple forums but they are not getting visible to guests when logged out.

I set channel permissions for the Guest user group as under for the top level group (these permissions are seen inherited by individual groups in admin CP properly) -
    Edit Channel Permissions For Usergroup: "Guest Users" in Channel "Groups"Group permissions applied on this page will be inherited by all sub-channels of the "Groups" channel. You can edit individual sub-channels to override changes made here.
    Can View Channels = Yes
    Can View Topic Content = Yes
    Can View Others' Topics = Yes

But the groups disappear when I log out with a message saying I do not have permission to view groups (as guest).

What else needs to be done in order to render groups as public visible to anyone?

Thanks!

Each group has its own settings for privacy. What are these set to? You can see them if you click the Gear icon under the group icon when viewing the page.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Each group has its own settings for privacy. What are these set to? You can see them if you click the Gear icon under the group icon when viewing the page.
      Their type is public and permission and privacy is set to Everyone can view.

Comment

Was your team able to reproduce this issue?

Comment

I just tested this on a clean installation and I am getting a "No Groups Found" error when attempting to view the groups page as a Guest User. I added two pages of groups right before testing so this is obviously not the expected behavior. If I set the permissions to the default, "No", I receive the expected, "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page."

Comment

Originally posted by webcms View Post
            Was your team able to reproduce this issue?
            I have not. Nor have I had the time to look at your site configuration. Hope to do this today.

Wayne Luke

Comment

In the AdminCP....
              1. Go to Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager.
              2. Edit Guest Users.
              3. Scroll to the bottom of the permissions list.
              4. Set "Can View Groups" to Yes.
              5. Save the Usergroup.
              Next...
              1. Go to Usergroups -> Channel Permissions
              2. Scroll to groups.
              3. Click Edit next to Guest Users.
              4. Set "Can View Channel" to Yes.
              5. Set "Can View Topic Content" to Yes.
              6. Set "Can View Other's Topics" to Yes.
              7. Save the Channel Permissions.
              8. Make sure that the Categories and individual groups do no have their own custom permissions for Guest Users.

Wayne Luke

Comment

There is an open improvement request to remove the base Usergroup Permissions for Groups and rely on Channel Permissions. This is the proper way to handle things. Hopefully it gets implemented in the future.

https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18062

Wayne Luke

Comment

In the AdminCP....
                  1. Go to Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager.
                  2. Edit Guest Users.
                  3. Scroll to the bottom of the permissions list.
                  4. Set "Can View Groups" to Yes.
                  5. Save the Usergroup.
                  Step 4 change worked which was the missing part in my previous changes.

I’ve already made the other suggested changes including changes to the front end group settings.

By the way, that is how vB should be configured in default installation for Guest users instead of having to make these changes manually.

Also, group categories have just title and description fields - no permissions. No issues.

Thanks, Wayne!

Comment

There is an open improvement request to remove the base Usergroup Permissions for Groups and rely on Channel Permissions. This is the proper way to handle things. Hopefully it gets implemented in the future.

https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18062
                    Since groups are created dynamically by users (unlike static forums that are created by admins), doesn’t this enhancement involve manually configuring each group’s permissions?

A base permission applies to all descendants and users can configure the group permissions in the front end as desired for privacy, permissions, etc.

Maybe the current implementation is right?

Comment

Originally posted by webcms View Post

Since groups are created dynamically by users (unlike static forums that are created by admins), doesn’t this enhancement involve manually configuring each group’s permissions?

A base permission applies to all descendants and users can configure the group permissions in the front end as desired for privacy, permissions, etc.

Maybe the current implementation is right?
                      The current implementation is wrong...

If you go to the Usergroup Editor and set "Can View Groups" to no, that usergroup will never be able to see any Social Group that is created by a user. It overrides the channel permissions and goes against the philosophy that a YES should always override a no within Administrator set permissions. The reason is this permission does not cascade to Channel Permissions and therefore cannot be overridden. If the Usergroup Permission is removed, then Channel Permissions will always take affect. These will still be overridden by the settings on individual Social Groups. So if the person creating the group only wants it visible to members, they can do that.

Permissions should always be inherited and cascading. Usergroup Permissions -> Channel Permissions -> Channel (blogs and social groups) Settings. The permission or setting on the closest descendent should override those set by ancestors if set to Yes.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I had set Users Awaiting Email Confirmation also to view groups for this to work.

Comment