Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It deletes all Private Message Topics originated by the user specified. It does not delete replies to topics not sent by the user. So by your thinking, it does not delete all Sent private messages. However the idea of "Sent" private messages is an outdated concept and needs to really be deleted from the system completely. The inbox, sent, and trash folder idea carried over from vBulletin 4 does not fit with the Discussion/Topic format of Private Messages and live chat Messenger in vBulletin today.

vBulletin 5 has a completely different paradigm on storing Private Messages than vBulletin 4.X. In vBulletin 4.X, there were no Private message topics or the concept of replies actually being attached to a starter post.

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    Doe this node tool delete all SENT messages or not?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by MDawg View Post
    Correct
    User Manager > Delete Private Messages Sent By User.
    does absolutely nothing of note.

But unfortunately, this new Nodes tool doesn't seem to do much either, at least not when I used it as described above.

<<The tool is actually designed to be a blunt deletion tool and not a fine tuned deletion tool to manage the Private Messages of a single user. It works best without the user designation if you want to clean out private messages.>>

Hmm so are you saying if you set it to delete all PMs older than two years without designating the user (leave the user name and user ID boxes empty) that it will do a better job, and then delete all sent PMs that are older than two years, period? Have you tried this?
    No. I have no problems with PMs on this site or the need to delete them. You should try it in a test database to see if it does what you want. Since you're trying to delete PMs from an Admin User, I would suspect that the great majority of the messages in their box did not originate from them. They merely replied to messages sent to them. Replies are not considered "Sent" messages in vBulletin 5. Only topics the user started are "Sent" topics. Everything is handled by topics, not individual messages.

<<and doesn't include the ones imported from VB4.>>

So does this mean that no matter what this tool won't even work? because all of my old PMs date from vb3 or vb4.
    I never said anything about vBulletin 4. Due to your improper quoting it implies I did. I would appreciate if you attributed things incorrectly. Poor formatting like this simply creates more problems in support.

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    Correct
    User Manager > Delete Private Messages Sent By User.
    does absolutely nothing of note.

But unfortunately, this new Nodes tool doesn't seem to do much either, at least not when I used it as described above.

<<The tool is actually designed to be a blunt deletion tool and not a fine tuned deletion tool to manage the Private Messages of a single user. It works best without the user designation if you want to clean out private messages.>>

Hmm so are you saying if you set it to delete all PMs older than two years without designating the user (leave the user name and user ID boxes empty) that it will do a better job, and then delete all sent PMs that are older than two years, period? Have you tried this?

<<and doesn't include the ones imported from VB4.>>

So does this mean that no matter what this tool won't even work? because all of my old PMs date from vb3 or vb4.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    He is talking about the new Node Tool to delete private messages originated or sent by a user. It will delete the starter and any children (replies) of a Private Message topic created by the user. It will not delete private messages sent to the user and any replies they created. Since most private message topics before vBulletin Messenger are actually short conversations with a few posts, this may not have the desired effect in mass deleting messages for a specific user when the majority originate from a multitude of other users. The tool is actually designed to be a blunt deletion tool and not a fine tuned deletion tool to manage the Private Messages of a single user. It works best without the user designation if you want to clean out private messages.

Deleting Private Message topics from the Message Center doesn't actually delete anything. It marks a message as "deleted" for that specific user. Only when every single user involved in the conversation is the actually marked for actual removal from the database. Even then, it isn't immediately removed. It gets removed by a Scheduled Task at a later date. Just in case anyone changes their mind and wants the conversation to last forever. This is because we don't actually keep a copy of each message for each user. All users in the conversation share the same copy.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Peabody
    replied
    I tried to deleted 174 pages in my sent box the other day and the system only brings up the PM's from when VB5 went online 6 months ago and doesn't include the ones imported from VB4.
    The only solution was to delete them from the User Manager > Delete Private Messages Sent By User.

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    New PM delete system on vb 5.6.2 does not work as expected
    https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-20435

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

Looked at your ticket today and I really think Cloudflare is slowing down your site due to improper caching. It is trying to cache pages that aren't public and they won't load well due to this. In fact, I received several 504 errors while trying to look at the PM issue specifically from Cloudflare.
    I have been experimenting with the Cache settings at the cloudflare controlpanel. Not done yet. However, I also flat out Paused the cloudflare and this did not seem to make a difference one way or another. However, I am not sure how instantly this Pause takes effect. I paused it and then immediately tested PM loading speed at my vb5 forum, and did not notice any difference, so I made Cloudflare active again.

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    I tested it again, on my main forum running.

Before the pruning process, the user had 27921 sent PMs and has been an active Admin since 2009.

I set the Node to delete all PMs older than 730 days

It showed 1824 Topics Matching

I clicked to delete...nothing seemed to happen, I mean I never saw the next screen.

However when I checked again (I did clear cache), the user now had less sent PMs, not a lot less, a few thousand less, 24985:

and when I tried to prune 730 days or older PMs again, I got this message

about no topics match query, which implies that the system did whatever it could previously.

However, this doesn't make sense, given an 11 year forum membership seems unlikely that only 3000 of the sent PMs for this user were older than 2 years. I believe I should have deleted far more sent PMs - unless, there is some other criteria to how this works that are unknown.

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    On this very forum:

Here are My Recent Posts:

and here is My Profile

Notice how My Recent Posts misses all of the Cloudflare posts I made recently and jumps to posts made months prior.

So if the database doesn't even work right on your own forum, how are we going to fix mine?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    And you verified that in the database? Or are you just going by the data cached by Cloudflare and showing on your screen?

Honestly, without a copy of your complete working database, we're just going to go around and around in circles here. I don't know why your software isn't working properly. Here is what I suggest.

1. Delete all third-party addons from the site. Uninstall them, backup and delete their tables, delete their files.
    2. Remove Cloudflare completely.
    3. Put the site in Debug Mode.
    4. Then allow us to look at the database directly and see if there is an actual problem.

And not a sample of your database or a subset of your database. Not a test site. Your live site with traffic.

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    In fact, for this user with these statistics: 2362 sent PMs, I just redid the PM pruning set to all defaults - all 0s and -1s in he boxes, which should have deleted all of this user's sent PMs, and upon rechecking PM statistics including after clearing system cache, the total remains 2362 for sent PMs. As well, it gave the same line about 34 topics found matched and claimed that it did something successfully, but again no visible results.

I suppose I do understand how difficult this is - for example in Xenforo I am not sure if there is any way to delete DMs, I think you just leave the conversation.
    Last edited by MDawg; Tue 30 Jun '20, 9:51am.

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    Well then either my database is off - which I've been wondering about that for years (it was upgraded from vb3 to vb4 to vb5, and I have been wondering if a database that upgrades from vb3 ends up somehow off), or this PM pruning doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I deleted PMs of my own on this forum and they are truly gone. I went from over 5000 PMs sent to just over 3,000.

Leave a comment:

• MDawg
    replied
    Yes it is possible that Cloudflare needs to be adjusted. I will look into that. I enabled cloudflare on the site only very recently. I have noticed that PMs are loading even slower than usual maybe this is due to Cloudflare.

But in the meantime I tried the deleting of PMs for the same user at the actual (not test) forum. The results are pretty weak:

For this user, in the real forum, his PMs consisted of this (prior to pruning):

I tried to purge PMs 720 days or older, and also 365 days or older, both gave the same result here:

Also tried selectively but nothing showed at all:

I ran it twice to Prune All Topics, cleared cache, all it deleted was maybe 8 PMs:

The last time this user even logged onto the real forum was October 2018, so when I set 365 as the criteria it should have deleted all his sent PMs.

Whatever you created doesn't really work. Did you go back and verify that the PM count for the user you deleted for at your forum was les after pruning, or just assumed that PMs were deleted, because so far, I see no results to speak of?
    Last edited by MDawg; Mon 29 Jun '20, 9:12pm.

Leave a comment: