Can't login using Firefox and Internet Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Bug / Issue] Can't login using Firefox and Internet Explorer

We upgraded from 5.5.2 to 5.6.1 yesterday. I have a user complaining that he can't get logged in using Firefox or Internet Explorer. When I try to login with Internet Explorer, I get to the point of the window saying "Logging in..." but nothing every happens after that. If I hit refresh on the page, I'm still logged out. Any ideas how to fix this? Thank you.

Have you made any changes to the header template on your site? vBulletin 5.6.0 refactored the login so it works differently than in 5.5.2. If you made modifications to the header template, you would need to revert those changes so the new code is properly loaded.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Hi, Wayne. I'm not sure what is considered a change? We have a logo at the top in the header, that's all.

Comment

I purchased a Support contract and opened a ticket for this and another issue.

Thanks

Comment

Hi, I've recently had some IE11 users complaining they can't login. I'm also 5.6.1p1 so I suspect 5.6.0 update broken login for IE11.
          I reproduced and the debugger in IE11 stopped on this: vBulletin.loadingIndicator.suppressNextAjaxIndicator()

Is there an ETA to get this resolved?

Comment

Originally posted by ep0ch View Post
            Hi, I've recently had some IE11 users complaining they can't login. I'm also 5.6.1p1 so I suspect 5.6.0 update broken login for IE11.
            I reproduced and the debugger in IE11 stopped on this: vBulletin.loadingIndicator.suppressNextAjaxIndicator()

Is there an ETA to get this resolved?
            No. Internet Explorer 11 is deprecated and is no longer supported.

Internet Explorer hasn't been updated since 2013 and has been replaced with Microsoft Edge, which is now Chromium-based and available to all users, not just users of Windows 10.

Users of Internet Explorer need to upgrade to Edge (or another browser of their choice) because increasingly modern websites are not supporting IE11 at all. Some sites are starting to block access completely. It is also a potential security risk due to lack of updates.

It can be downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/edge
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks for the reply . Yes I understand its not actively developed. And I've had to tell my users the workaround is to use another browser.

However believe it or not, IE is still a browser that's in use a fair bit . Particularly in corporations.

I don't mind the site having a crappy user experience for these users. But not even getting past login is unexpected, especially when there's no helpful error message saying their browser is not supported.

Comment

Microsoft released their new Chromium-based Edge earlier this year. It is available for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 as well as MacOS. The purpose of this browser is to replace IE in all environments, including corporate ones. It even has an "IE mode" to account for this. Microsoft has not actively developed Internet Explorer since 2015.

Deprecated means that we will not fix bugs specifically for Internet Explorer. We cannot dedicate the resources to support a browser with 1.75% of worldwide market share. The biggest issue is that Internet Explorer 11 is not standards compliant and does not support the ECMAScript 1.6 formatting used in modern JavaScript. ECMAScript 1.6 was released in 2015. We started migrating to its more efficient and better performance in vBulletin 5.6.0.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I have found the Login Bar doesn't go away in FireFox, but you are login -- you just need to look at a thread or something else for the Edit Site bar to appear.

vB works normally in Chrome & MS Edge.
                  Drew
                  Running vB v5.5.4 at Mets Global

Comment

Originally posted by Drucifer View Post
                    I have found the Login Bar doesn't go away in FireFox, but you are login -- you just need to look at a thread or something else for the Edit Site bar to appear.
                    Are you using the same URL as specified in the AdminCP? For security purposes this is required. www.domain.com is not the same as domain.com.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Just checked - had http://www.domain.org in my link to open the forum, but it is https://www.domain.org

I have corrected the link to open. I'll see if that will fix it later.
                      Drew
                      Running vB v5.5.4 at Mets Global

Comment