Failed upgrade to 5.6.1 - Site is in an unknown state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed upgrade to 5.6.1 - Site is in an unknown state

I attempted to upgrade to 5.6.1 this morning, from the 5.5.5 Security Patch following the Zero Day vulnerability a few months back.
    It has not gone well, and I had to restore from backups and still the site will not allow me into the Admin Console.
    My hosting company have tried 2 backups to restore from and I get the same error when I try to log into the CP.

Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in .../vb5/route.php on line 1337 Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in .../vb5/route.php on line 1337A System Error has occured.

The software is experiencing a systems error.

You should attempt to repeat your last action. If this error occurs again, please contact the site administrator.

The upgrade script started by asking me which path I wanted to take, as it knew I was on the Security release, but said it had not been patched since 5.5.0.
    This identified some files that were not recognised, but as this was a security patch fix, I thought the new uploaded files would address that.

Also during the install, my host had to increase the server resources as it stopped a number of times at stage 2. Eventually it completed, and as normal I deleted the install directory, but we were unable to get the forum to respond normally.

What are my course of actions to re-activate the forum and not lose 18 years of forum data.

I look forward to your advice.
    Thanks
    Mark
    Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain

We had to clear some table caches to get the site operational.
    Will attempt the upgrade again tomorrow morning. As I am on a Security Patch release, should I do something different ?
    As I did get a notice saying I had not patched since 5.5.0, despite being on 5.5.5.
    The forum is back, so the pressure is off for now.
    Regards
    Mark

Comment

We need to understand what you've done here, both currently and historically.

Patch files are not an upgrade. They don't change the full version number you are on, so I am unclear on why your site was reporting 5.5.0 if you'd installed 5.5.5's security patch. You cannot use the 5.5.5 security patch on 5.5.0, and doing so would not upgrade a 5.5.0 site to 5.5.5. This is probably where the upgrade script is getting conflicting information. If it asks again have it start from 5.5.0.

The same is true with this latest patch - you cannot put the patch files onto your site.

Please download a fresh copy of the FULL 5.6.1 files from the members area. This is labelled as 'Download vBulletin 5 Connect' on the right hand side next to your license details.
      You will then see the option 'Download Latest Version 5.6.1 Patch Level 1'. Download this and unzip and upload it to the server, making sure all existing files are overwritten.

Then, run install/upgrade/php

You will see warnings about obsolete files that were used in earlier versions but not needed in the current version. It is recommended that you identify these and remove them, though it is not essential to the upgrade. If you don't remove them at this point though, afterwards you should run the suspect file check diagnostic tool in the admincp and identify them that way.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks Mark for the update.

I will download the files again, I am pretty sure I took the normal upgrade files, and that would explain why it gave me the option of starting from, 5.5.0.
        I will take screen shots next time, and my host has left my additional resource settings, as this was stopping Stage 2 to complete, something that has happened many times before, which I suspect was due to the hosts restrictions.

Regards
        Mark

Comment

I would add, there isn't really a 'stage 2' to an upgrade. It's a series of steps, starting at the version immediately after the one the software is currently running. Steps are segregated by version as it steps through everything until it gets to the current version, the steps for which will include importing styles, languages and various other tasks.

If it fails at any step, refresh the page and see if it continues where it left off. If the same error keeps appearing, post back with the error and we will try to solve the problem.

Comment

The forum update went smoothly this morning, I have attached the screen shots of the 'different' screens I saw this time, which is the first upgrade since the Zero Day patching that I did in 2019.
            I think the additional hosting resources helped make it go better, which has caused me many issues in the past.

​​​​​​​The upgrade was successful and took 15 mins, just how it should be.
            Attached Files

Comment

The second screenshot is showing you a list of files which are no longer needed in vBulletin.

It's recommended that you go through this and remove them.

If any are custom files that you know about and are supposed to be there, then obviously leave those in place.

Comment

Hi Mark,
                Picking this up again for the next upgrade. I have been unpgrading VB since 2002, so I am a little confused why there are files that need to be deleted, I have never seen this before.
                Is there a Knowledge Artcile or Support Note I have missed that advises which files are to be removed.
                In order to minmise any activity during an upgrade, I would prefer to address the removal before any upgrade is executed.
                Thanks
                Mark

Comment

Files are made obsolete over time due to bug fixes and refactoring. This has occurred over the life of vBulletin. Leaving obsolete files on your server can jeopardize the security of the software. The tool to determine what files are no longer part of vBulletin is part of the AdminCP and the upgrade script. We actually list the files in each version that are no longer necessary in the upgrade script and give you the option to delete them before you upgrade the software. That is the entire point of showing a dialog box saying "The file is not recognized as part of vBulletin."

See the "File Cleanup" portion of this topic: https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...lletin-connect
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment