Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back button no longer refreshes the previous page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back button no longer refreshes the previous page?

I first noticed this in v5.6.0 on iOS, but there was an iOS update near the same time our site updated, so I did not inquire.

Symptom:

When going "back" to the previous page (in this case, back to "new posts"), the page no longer refreshes and removes the post that was just visited. The page actually produces an "error" bubble popup on iOS. I first chalked this up to an iOS issue, because it was not happening in Chrome.

Now, with v5.6.1, the same issue is now happening in Chrome as well. (without the error bubble) It does not remove the read topic. It simply removes the highlighting. (bold)

I have just tested MS Edge as well. (the only other browser I have installed at the moment) It is happening there as well. Thus, I have to assume this is a vB issue starting back in v5.6.0?

Before I attempt to create a bug report, can anyone else please confirm?

Wayne, if there is already a report, please let me know.

vBulletin has never had code to refresh the page when the back button in your browser was pressed. Most browsers will reload the page from their cache as a performance boost and bandwidth saver. Unless the server tells them the page was changed.

The only thing that changed is that caching was being deleted improperly and this was resolved. Modules should cache for X minutes by default. This was interpreted as seconds in the Scheduled Tasks. That bug was fixed to improve performance and prevent a common error of "This search has expired."
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I see. Sadly, the previous way was handy when having pages of new posts to wade through. You may close this topic.

Comment

Just for some more background....

When a browser requests a page, the server will return a header on whether it has changed or not. If it has not changed, the browser will load the page from its cache.

Any change in behavior is most likely the result of fixing this issue: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-20042

That issue also fixes these issues:
        These issues were also the cause of these discussions:
        1. https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...aching-problem
        2. https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...sults-expiring
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment