Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mhaddy
    replied
    Thank you - I'll take a look at this and report back with my results.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    index.php does a lot. It:
    1. Loads the autoloader. This tells PHP how to find every class object in the code so it can be loaded on demand.
    2. Determines whether the URL needs to the full engine, a reduced load engine, or simply a call to the API.
    3. It initializes the chosen engine which starts pulling necessary information from the database.
    4. It feeds the URL called to the routing engine which determines everything else.

If the option to turn your forum is set to off, then process of loading the site is short circuited and the off message is displayed. If the cookies of the user signify they are an administrator, then the off message is displayed but the rest of the site continues to load. This only happens after a lot of behind the scenes stuff occurs first though.

Leave a comment:

• Mhaddy
    replied
    I appreciate that - I will try debug mode.

Can you walk me through what is happening in (presumably) index.php when a forum is ON vs. OFF? That's what's piquing my interest... if this were a larger server issue, something to do with directory permissions or PHP incompatibility or etc., then why is it working only some of the time?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    A 500 server error is a generic error returned by the web server and from outside the vBulletin software. It can be caused by thousands of different things. There is no way to determine how to fix your site based on a 500 server error.

To see what the actual error is, you need to either review the HTTPD and PHP error logs. Or you might be able to see it by turning on debug mode in vBulletin. This will allow PHP errors to be displayed on the screen in many server configurations but not all. However, if the error is not a PHP error, you will have to rely on the logs.

Leave a comment:

• Mhaddy
    replied
    Posting up here in case anyone has the same issue. The issue is partially fixed: When the forum is turned off, visiting the front-end results in a 500 internal server error; when it's on, the front-end loads. I found that cookie prefix in the two config files weren't the same. Here's what I did to fix the login issue:

Opened ./core/includes/config.php and saw this following var was set to 'bb' (this was the default during install):

$config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'bb';

Opened ./config.php and saw the the following was empty, i.e., '':

$config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = '';

So I updated ./config.php and set it to 'bb':

$config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'bb';

Then cleared the cookies and tried to login again to both the front-end and back-end (admincp) and was successful.

@VB Mods: Is this a bug?

---

@VB Mods: I still have the issue where when the forum is turned off, I get the 500 internal server error when hitting the root URL. Note that I can still login via /admincp.
    Last edited by Mhaddy; Mon 4 May '20, 8:04am. Reason: issue partially fixed, new issue found

Leave a comment:

• Mhaddy
    started a topic [Bug / Issue] Can't login to admincp

Can't login to admincp

Morning all,

Long-time vB forum owner (vB 2.x days) with a vB 4.x community that's recently been revitalized, so I purchased a vB 5.x upgrade license and took the dive (I'll bore you with the details of this later). I upgraded my 4.0.7 to 4.2.5 and all was well (access admincp, post thread, etc.). Then did the 4.2.5 to 5.6.1 upgrade and the upgrade showed as successful except when I visited my forum root URL, I had a 500 internal server error, and while the login page for admin CP came up, it would seemingly login but then just redirect me back to the login screen.

So I uploaded the /install directory again and ran the upgrade again. It went well so I deleted the /install dir and tried to login again. Same issue. I then uploaded the tools.php to /admincp and turned the forum on and voila -- I could access my forum via the root URL and confirmed all was well by navigating to a few threads and making a post. So I tried to login via /admincp again and bam - same issue. Redirects me back to the login screen after posting to login.php. The weird thing is that I am logged in and could successfully post.

I can also access the 'Quick Setup' and made a change here (updated logo), so I assume that's leveraging the admincp capabilities to do this.

Any thoughts on where to start debugging? Apologies, it's been... 10 years since I was actively managing a vB forum and am a bit out of touch with the admin/debug side.