Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• search and flag question

Please reply about the following.

- Japanese search by "Keywords" in "search" or "advanced search" at the top of the screen is not possible.
    Which settings should I change?

- How to search for "Post" with "Flag"?
    * I understand that there is a list display in "Flag Reports" of "Message Center".

Thank you.

In order to search multi-byte characters your site must use a UTF-8 database and HTML character set. If you do not use a UTF-8 database, then everything will be stored as HTML Entities. It is recommended to use the utf8mb4 character set and a corresponding collation for your database. Within vBulletin, you should use the UTF-8 HTML Character set and a UTF-8 Locale in the Language settings.

You cannot search for posts with Flags in the search forms. The Flag Reports is actually a search of specific topics within a Special -> Reports channel created behind the scenes when you install vBulletin 5.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thank you for your response!

The database is UTF8MB4 and we were able to search exact matches in Japanese sentences.
      However, it is not possible to search by word or by partial match.
      It seems to be registered as a sentence in the database's WORDS table.
      How do I search by word or partial match in a non-separating words and phrases?

Comment

What are the stop characters in Japanese that delineate different words?

Wayne Luke

Comment

The Japanese text will not be searched for any words.
          For example, you can't use "日本語検索" or "動作確認" to search for the sentence "日本語検索の動作確認です".

Comment

vBulletin uses an indexed keyword search. This relies on stop characters. In English, these are things like a spaces and punctuation. This is how the system knows how to break up text into words. This is why I asked what characters are used as stop characters in Japanese. Most likely these aren't used in the indexing tools. This is why it doesn't search Japanese words.

The only way to resolve this is to add the stop characters to the system. That is why I asked for them. Examples of words don't help.

Wayne Luke

Comment

In which menu do I set the "stop character"?

Comment

You can't. Which is why I asked what the were so we can have the developers include them or include a way for site owners to edit them.

I created an issue to have this added: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-20272

Adding support for Fulltext search would probably fulfill your requirements as well. Unfortunately, the minimum required version of MySQL can have problems with FullText search on InnoDB tables.
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 12 May '20, 7:57am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

The developers have told me that this may be possible using the Sphinx Search option. It has options to handle non-English languages that the indexed database search does not. You should have your server people investigate and installing sphinx search. The instructions are in /do_not_upload/sphinx_install_*.txt files. * would reference your operating system.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thank you very much.
                    I'm going to try out the "Sphinx Search option" you've taught me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X