Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Just another way for people to communicate.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    Is there a specific benefit to providing Visitor Messaging I might need to be aware of before switching it off?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager. Edit your various usergroups. There is a section of permissions for Visitor Messages. You can set it so they can only post to their own wall or to others. There are also a few other permissions.

Individuals can also turn off visitor messaging on their own profile by visiting the Account tab of their Settings Page. https://forum.vbulletin.com/settings/account

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Always interested in hearing ways to make the differences between the many modes of communication more clear.
    Thanks - we did stick to vB3 until last December and the change was quite a shock to many.

I'm wondering if we need Visitor Messaging - I guess it can be turned off?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Always interested in hearing ways to make the differences between the many modes of communication more clear.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    Yes that is what seems to be the case.

The fair argument from some users is that the messaging system isn't very clear to use. Many of my users are silver surfers!

Leave a comment:

• OrganForum
    replied
    My guess is that your member sent a visitor message, not a private message. Visitor messages are public messages sent to an individual.

This is a common user mistake and is easy to make due to the UI layout. In the User Profile screenshot below entering and posting a message in the editor will create a visitor message. Sending a private message requires clicking the Private Message button above the editor which takes you to the private message submission page. To avoid this confusion, turn off Visitor Messaging.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	VM.png
Views:	96
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	4439470
    This editor in the User Profile will post a Visitor Message. To send a Private Message, the user must click the Private Message button above the editor to navigate to the Private Message form below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PM.png
Views:	58
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	4439471
    This is the form for submitting Private Messages.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    started a topic Concerns about private messaging privacy

Concerns about private messaging privacy

One of my members has contacted me to say that when he contacted a fellow-member via PM he was able to see other messages to the person he contacted. I've asked for more details but in the mean time I am curious to know if this is a known issue?