Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Always limit your searches to a date range. That will help performance. Other things were mentioned in the ticket.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    I responded to the ticket. It appears to be running faster now. Much faster than before. Is there any way I can prevent that from happening again outside of leaving that setting that you changed in place?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Think I found the issue. Will respond in the ticket.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Currently, you have 21 days of Cloud subscription left. 18-20 days after a migration and the CNAME updates. That can be done.

I have a question about the main query out to the developers to see if they have any ideas. I don't know if updating to MySQL 5.7 is an option or not. Your version is pretty old. Hostgator may even have a newer server with a higher default PHP and MySQL that could improve things. The key would be that query though. When cached, the site loads in .8 seconds on my local machine. Without the cache, it loads in 5 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Yes. The issue is that you're getting dozens of MySQL Gone Away errors. This actually points to a server configuration issue. Hopefully it isn't because shared hosting providers do not provide custom MySQL database configuration without paying a lot of money.

I don't have a solution as of yet. Will update as soon as I do. The problem with unique issues like yours is that they take a lot of time to resolve. It isn't just going to be a quick fix of "Change this setting" and everything will be okay again.
    I understand. Is there something further I can bring forward to Hostgator? And since I have until the end of this month left on VB cloud, is it possible to somehow switch back to VB cloud so that the site can atleast remain functional and switch back to VB5 when testing or an answer is found? Or does it not quite work like that?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Yes. The issue is that you're getting dozens of MySQL Gone Away errors. This actually points to a server configuration issue. Hopefully it isn't because shared hosting providers do not provide custom MySQL database configuration without paying a lot of money.

I don't have a solution as of yet. Will update as soon as I do. The problem with unique issues like yours is that they take a lot of time to resolve. It isn't just going to be a quick fix of "Change this setting" and everything will be okay again.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    Hey Wayne, hope you are feeling better.

Is there any update on this? The website has seemed to become accessible by computer, but mobile access is far too slow to be accessed.

Google page insights still returns a database error.

I am really hoping to get this wrapped up. The site has suffered a big drop in traffic.

I am at the point where I need to contemplate swallowing the licence loss and go back to vb cloud if this can’t be resolved. Which really really really hurts. But the site is so unfunctional that it is that or fold it completely...

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Will take a look as soon as I can. Have been a little under the weather lately.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    Thanks Wayne. I will open a ticket now. The site was just moved from your cloud hosting to my host at hostgator. As I did not have a previous version of vbulletin like I thought I did, I had to buy a brand new licence and therefore VB 4 should no be in there at all (the previous individual that owned the forum 2 years ago used vb 3.8.x) but I did not take over his licence according to Vbulletins tech team I reached out to before I purchased the licence.

One of the VB tech's did the professional installation onto hostgator and it has not been operational since the install began. So hostgator would not of changed any settings prior to the problems starting as the issues started from the very beginning of the install.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Looking at your site, the initial delay is the time to first byte type of stuff. This is where vBulletin does things behind the scenes. Normally, this is very quick. Less than a second. Your database server is struggling though.

266 Queries Run : Total SQL time was 17.829550 seconds , Total PHP time was 0.370306 seconds , Overall time was 18.199856 seconds.

Truncating tables is still not the answer.

Edit 1: I see that you still have some old vBulletin 4.X tables in the database. I can drop these and reduce the size of the database but not significantly. As these tables are unused, they are merely taking up drive space. They wouldn't impact the performance of the system. If you open a ticket referencing this topic and containing cPANEL login information, I can create a backup and do more tests on the database on a local server where I have more control and can try to pinpoint the query issue. It appears to be caused by the search module on your home page and cascades from there.

Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 29 Apr '20, 11:26am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    5.2 GB is actually a very small database in today's world. Having Godaddy truncate tables without any concern for data integrity has probably destroyed your site. The data is completely interwoven and content is stored in multiple tables depending on need. You can't simply delete data out of the database. Do you have a backup from before this occurred?

Something must have changed on your server. Even something outside your control if you're using GoDaddy's shared hosting plans. They really don't care about individual site performance and will overload their servers in order to make more money.

Looking at your site, it appears one of the tables that GoDaddy truncated is the language and phrase tables. Removing the contents of these tables will have a negative impact on performance as the browser tries to download these for caching in local storage. I suspect they probably truncated search and datastore tables as well. These are also designed to improve performance on the site.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 29 Apr '20, 10:17am.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    Thanks- I paid for the professional install from Vbulletin. The installer has said that the issue is related to the database which is where I came to that conclusion.

It looks like I can't even log into my account on vbulletin as I get this message: "You do not have a valid password configured for your account. Please reset your password" As a result I cannot even pull the information you are looking for to help resolve this.

I have had my site down now for 7 days. This is not what I wanted and at this point I am extremely frustrated as all of the hardwork I have poured into my forum is being lost by the minute. It's taken a year to get to where I am at and I have likely lost it in 7 days

Also, this was the email I got back from hostgator:

Thank you for contacting HostGator Support. My name is Son and I have taken ownership of your case.

I understand that you are inquiring about why the database is taking a long time to query.

I checked your database and see that it is 5.2GB in size. This is the main reason why your queries are taking a long time to complete.

If you look at the tables that have been updated recently, you can see that they are very large. I recommend truncated the table sizes and reducing the amount of data served or query.

Please let us know if you have any questions or require further assistance. There is a brief survey at the bottom of this ticket regarding my performance. If you have a moment to take it I would greatly appreciate your feedback!
    Last edited by Letzride; Tue 28 Apr '20, 7:43pm.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The vBulletin Cloud servers are specifically optimized for vBulletin and we have a team of IT people monitoring the servers all the time to make sure the database software is up to date and optimized. Hostgator runs servers that aren't optimized for one specific software package. They have to support all the software packages. That makes optimization difficult. In addition to this, your problems may not even be due to your database. Another site on the server could be using those resources.

Looking at your site, I can see some definite problems with the installation. Phrases aren't loading properly and the time to download is significant. I don't think this is database related. At least not entirely.

To try and determine what is causing the problems you are seeing, we need basic information. You can find the information we need here:
    https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...obtain-support

In addition to this, I need to know the values for your MySQL Status and MySQL Table Status. You can view both of these in the AdminCP under Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> System Information.

However, please note that we may not be able to make your site run the same speed as it did on vBulletin Cloud. There is very little optimization we can do within a shared hosting environment.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    started a topic Forum very slow

Forum very slow

So I just had my site professionally installed from being hosted on VB's cloud platform to being self host on hostgators cloud servers. Installation was completed the other day and the tech that did it has been a big help.

My current issue is he says "the database speed is very very slow. While the AdminCP speed is reasonable, the main site isn't - and that's on simple things like page loads as well as updating data in the database. Also looking into tables in the database via phpMyAdmin is slow so it's not a vBulletin issue there."

I have contacted hostgator over this issue and they said that they have cleared the cache and to give it some time and that they have assigned an admin to look into the issue.

I don't feel overly confident that clearing the cache is going to solve the problem nor am I confident that they are going to resolve this without further guidance.

My question is, how can I fix the site from being slow? It is painfully slow loading. To the point that I don't think any users would ever stick around to wait for it to load to participate. Which entirely defeats the purpose for me.

I am not technically savy. But the site was running perfectly find on VB's cloud platform, so I believe that it should run perfectly fine on hostgators as well. How can I go about finding the issue?

Site in question is www.camarov6.com