Forum sections or create a new forum with no parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum sections or create a new forum with no parent

I have seen some VB forums that appear to have collapsible sections or there are multiple forums with no parent? I cannot tell. Is there a way to reproduce in VB5 Connect what I see in the screenshot below, where it appears that there are multiple sections that are collapsible or there are multiple forums with no parent. Every time I create a new channel in VB5 Connect, I see that I always have to choose a parent. Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vb5q1.png
Views:	47
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	4438314

That is vBulletin 4 - the categories were collapsible.

In vB5, categories still exist but are not collapsible.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks. I am finding out more and more about vB5 with each answer. Was vB5 a complete rewrite from vB4? Is that why functionality from 4 does not exist in 5?

Comment

Originally posted by SD3 View Post
        Thanks. I am finding out more and more about vB5 with each answer. Was vB5 a complete rewrite from vB4? Is that why functionality from 4 does not exist in 5?
        It was a major rewrite but not 100% complete.

Many new features were added. Some that we deemed no longer required were removed.

vBulletin 4's code is mostly that of vBulletin 3 which dates back to 2003. The web has changed in that time and not every feature remains relevant.

In this particular case there had long been feedback that allowing users to effectively 'hide' bits of the site they didn't want to read, was not helpful for sites that need to monetize, nor indeed helpful for any site that wants to maximise content discovery.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

There is an outstanding feature request to restore the Forum Category Collapse functionality here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...ssues/VBV-7858

This will be a little more difficult than it was in vBulletin 4. In vBulletin 4.X, the forum list used <div> elements. These had a large set of issues due to how XHTML worked and browser incompatibilities. When vBulletin 5 was developed, this layout was switched to using <tables>. These are a bit harder to control so the collapse functionality was removed in lieu of developing browser workarounds for non-standard browsers like Internet Explorer and mobile browser support. Since then, browsers have standardized better so there is a possibility that it will return in the future.

Within later versions of vBulletin 5, you can control the depth of forums on the home page by editing the module. However, this is all or nothing. You can't collapse some categories and not others.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment