Is this a security issue? New users register in bulk at the same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a security issue? New users register in bulk at the same time

I've been having this issue for quite awhile. My forum doesn't have a lot of traffic. I barely get 15 to 20 visits a day because it is for specific audience. However, sometimes I get new users registered in bulk all at the same time and they have weird emails. I have attached a screenshot. I had 9 new users are registered at the same exact time. The weird thing is, registration captcha is on. So is this a bug or security issue? This is definitely suspicious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_215118.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	4437420

Is it a security risk? No. Users registering on your site is not a security risk.

However, you can control this better by using something like Recaptcha2 instead of the basic image verifcation. Recaptcha2 is recommended but not enabled by default because you need to apply for a userid and security key from Google. The basic image captcha system hasn't kept bots off of sites since about 2007. Updating it makes it impossible for humans to read and use as well.

You should review your registration settings (Settings -> Options -> User Registration), Spam Settings (Settings -> Spam Management), and Human Verification Settings (Settings -> Human Verification Manager). Using these systems will allow you to control registrations and reduce spam.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I am actually already using recaptcha2 not the basic captcha.

Comment

Not when I visited your site.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-03-24_13-31-25.png
Views:	31
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	4437427

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Sorry my bad. Activated the recaptcha. Let's see what happens.

Comment