• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users Online

Good day

On the main page I can see following messge:

"There are currently 668 users online. 1 members and 667 guests."

But according to Google Analytics - visitors are only 2.

I've checked it during all last week since I've run the forum. Currently users vary from 500 till 900.

Please advise why it is happened? Maybe your in-build counter has a bug?

I believe those are all web bots and crawlers. Google Analytics does not report / show them

Comment

Originally posted by Carrfixr View Post
      I believe those are all web bots and crawlers. Google Analytics does not report / show them
      I have different forums, but never noticed such bots invasion

Comment

Online Users is a useless function. It's always been a useless function. It doesn't work in real time and it can't work in real time because it's cookie based. It's not only always behind but it also shows active users who have long since logged out. Frankly, they should remove it because it serves no useful purpose.

Comment

I have lots of them. If you click on their IP, you will get things like "msnbot-207-46-13-134.search.msn.com", which is a bot. I have at least five times as many bots as guest users at any given time.

Comment

Those 667 guests could be Google indexing your site. They would say they are just one visitor but since they use hundreds of different IPs and slightly different user agents, we really don't know that they are all different threads of a single bot so they are counted individually.

It also depends on what you have your Cookie Timeout set to. By default, this is set to 900 seconds (15 minutes) which means that after 15 minutes of inactivity the software will no longer consider that IP address as an Online Active User. If you increase this, then the numbers will get skewed. Some people set this value very high. I've seen it set to 4 Million seconds before which is over 45 days. I recommend not setting it to over an hour. If people want to remain logged in, they should check the "Remember Me" box.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
              Online Users is a useless function. It's always been a useless function. It doesn't work in real time and it can't work in real time because it's cookie based. It's not only always behind but it also shows active users who have long since logged out. Frankly, they should remove it because it serves no useful purpose.
              I disagree and find it very useful, even though it is not always accurate. Mine is set to 2.5 hrs, I like others to see that there were a lot of users visiting. I hope that this would never be removed

Comment

It isn't meant to be 100% accurate but to show general activity. It can be removed by removing the module from the page for those who don't want to use it. It isn't actually cookie based either. It just uses the same value that a cookie based logout would use. It is actually based on the session table and whether the session is expired there. Each page load would renew the end-users session and reset the timer.

That isn't to say it is perfect but by its nature the web is generally stateless so assumptions are made and guesses are implemented to make it appear people stay logged in as if they were connecting to an actual server.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I disagree and find it very useful, even though it is not always accurate. Mine is set to 2.5 hrs, I like others to see that there were a lot of users visiting. I hope that this would never be removed
                  Yea, but you can make it show as many "active" users as you want by changing the session timeout value, as Wayne Luke indicated. I don't see any value in lying to my members about how many users are online at any given time. They already know sometimes the forums have thousands of members and sometimes they have less than a hundred.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

It isn't meant to be 100% accurate but to show general activity. It can be removed by removing the module from the page for those who don't want to use it. It isn't actually cookie based either. It just uses the same value that a cookie based logout would use. It is actually based on the session table and whether the session is expired there. Each page load would renew the end-users session and reset the timer.

That isn't to say it is perfect but by its nature the web is generally stateless so assumptions are made and guesses are implemented to make it appear people stay logged in as if they were connecting to an actual server.
                    I think it would be far more useful if it could be made to retrieve the same information the GeoIP Service retrieves or even the request headers but that's not really a priority request. It would be helpful to know who is logging in using which type of browser or device though as well as the actual location rather than the IP address.

I've both limited it to User Group 6 and removed it entirely for different applications depending on the forums in question.

Comment

Browser tracking is outdated technology and not recommended. It is easier for a user to spoof their Browser Agent than it is to spoof an IP. Spoofing an IP is pretty easy. That is why we don't use it in vBulletin 5.

There is already an open issue to log user location in the tracker but users move. Plus GEOIP providers charge a fee after a certain number of calls to their API. So it isn't really feasible to do it on every page load.

Wayne Luke

Comment

The main problem for me is that forum starts to load very slow. For example - now it mention 850 active users (actually 3 according to Google Analytics). And I'm awaiting for loading each page 5 to 15 seconds. What to do in such situation?

I even got below message:
                        "Resource Limit Is Reached
                        The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later."

I've checked all IPs from Who is Online, all of them starts from 114.119. , see below:

Can I block all IPs starting from ​​​​​​​114.119.? Is there any such possibility in vbulletin 5.5.6?
                        Last edited by _Avalon_; Tue 24th Mar '20, 1:37am.

Comment

I don't see any value in lying to my members about how many users are online at any given time. .
                          There could be certain circumstances that you are totally unaware of. As with most things here we all have our own special and different needs

Stay Safe

Comment

I found a solution! Denied all these same IP-s in .htacess file. And now forum runs as Road Runner!

Comment

There could be certain circumstances that you are totally unaware of. As with most things here we all have our own special and different needs

Stay Safe
                              I said I see no value in it, meaning for my own purposes. I don't speak for every forum. Most importantly, users aren't stupid. They know when the Users Online number and the actual number of users are different. It's not too hard to figure out when it says there are hundreds or thousands of users online but almost none of them are posting or viewing anything other than the index.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                                In Omnibus commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I should also add I've seen forums using this to show users online and using a mod to show users browsing each forum. Something looks very wrong with the forums doing that.