X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Significant increase in dB size after upgrade to 5.6

phpMyAdmin SQL export was 28 MB in v5.5.6
    It jumped to 47 MB after upgrade to v5.6

The only change was in v5.5.6, I had only English language..
    In v5.6, I installed the other 3 languages (total: 4 languages).

Does installing 3 more languages increase the size by so much?

TIA

If you upgraded from vBulletin 3 or 4, then this is normal due to the structure of the database and how data is stored. With vBulletin 4.X, parts of the storage were also hidden due to the use of FullText indexes. These would not be in the export whereas vBulletin 5's searchtoword tables are.

If you upgraded from vBulletin 5 but converted your tables to UTF-8, the database could take up more storage on disk. When using UTF8MB4, each and every character takes up 4 bytes for storage. Some glyphs (i.e. Emoji) are actually multiple characters. With a basic Latin1 or UTF-8 character set, each character only takes 1-3 bytes for storage.

Other than that there is just general changes in storage from day to day usage.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Hi Wayne,

I upgraded from v5.5.6 - the previous version.

Also, my db has no data - just a vanilla install and configuring it. No users, no data yet.

I was wondering what could have changed to increase the size of the export so drastically . The only difference is that I have all 4 languages now as opposed to just English

Comment

The phrase table can easily double in size with multiple languages installed. One of my databases with only English shows the phrase table at 7.5 MB. Another with all four languages installed have it at 15.5 MB.

Without comparing the two databases, I can't pinpoint all the size increases between the two. Is storage a consideration? Most hosting comes with at least 1 GB of storage.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment