X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by webcms View Post
    Implementing Google Custom Search (that does everything - stemming, etc) as an alternate search option should be pretty straightforward and simple and get a BIG bang out of it from utilizing Google's world-class infrastructure for our search needs for free. Since Google already indexes our site, there is no additional steps involved to reuse their search engine. User would have an option to switch between GCS and vB search (which also serves as a failover in the event google goes bankrupt).

Google search is being used by many websites for decades. Vanilla forums uses google search and it is wicked fast and accurate. The implementation on w3schools.com is very ideal as it shows results on-site in a popup without leaving the site to go to google.com to show the results.

I hope you add GCS to your TODO list.
    There are many - myself included - who would absolutely NOT want the internal search replaced by Google.

I don't know where to even start with some of the objections people would have - privacy concerns, lack of control over results and results display, inability to index non-public channels. I really don't think that's the way to go at all.

Many site owners resisted the push to hand over control of their sites to Facebook, there will be a similar resistance to handing over control to Google.

Leave a comment:

• webcms
    replied
    Implementing Google Custom Search (that does everything - stemming, etc) as an alternate search option should be pretty straightforward and simple and get a BIG bang out of it from utilizing Google's world-class infrastructure for our search needs for free. Since Google already indexes our site, there is no additional steps involved to reuse their search engine. User would have an option to switch between GCS and vB search (which also serves as a failover in the event google goes bankrupt).

Google search is being used by many websites for decades. Vanilla forums uses google search and it is wicked fast and accurate. The implementation on w3schools.com is very ideal as it shows results on-site in a popup without leaving the site to go to google.com to show the results.

I hope you add GCS to your TODO list.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It doesn't support stemming, synonyms, or exploding acronyms.

Sphinx will allow you to move the search out of the main MySQL database and onto a separate physical server. Overall, since both are really based on MySQL, the performance is about the same.

I believe there is a third-party Google Search out there. I haven't looked personally.

Leave a comment:

• webcms
    replied
    Does vB Search support stemming, exploding acronyms, synonyms, "Did you mean...?", etc like Solr / Lucene?

How does vB Search compare to Sphinx Search in performance? I know Sphinx stores all keywords in memory so it needs a ton of memory.

How about Google search that does everything?

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=241563

I'm looking for something like this Google search on this site -

(click search icon in far right on top for the results popup)
    https://www.w3schools.com
    Last edited by webcms; Tue 3 Mar '20, 3:24pm.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    vBulletin 5 does not use fulltext indexes for search. The ft_min_word_len value has no relevance in the software.

It builds its own indexes by splitting the content based on "stop characters" and inserting those records in the search tables.

If we did use fulltext search, it is unlikely that we would change the minimum word length value on Cloud.

(Sphinx search does not use fulltext search either. It is a duplicate of the default vBulletin search. Sphinx search is not available on vBulletin Cloud at this time.)

Leave a comment:

• webcms
    started a topic Search index minimum word length

Search index minimum word length

ft_min_word_len default in mysql is 4 letters.

How does this setting work under Message Searching Options > Search Index Minimum Word Length?

Did mysql fulltext start supporting words less than 4 chars by default? The hosting provider needs to update the mysql.ini file and restart mysql to take effect for less than 4 chars length. How does this setting work in vB without changing the ini file? Does vB use mysql fulltext search or does it have its own search indexing system?

(I'm not talking about sphinx search)