Favicons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favicons

Where do I place the favicons for 1. The Website 2. The admincp? Thanks.

It exists by default as favicon.ico in the public_html folder.

The path for the favicon is in the Style Manager under Style Variable Editor > Image Paths > Favicon for each style.

Comment

Changing the favicon in the root (not public_html for me because I have multiple websites in cpanel) did not work. Style Variable Editor > Image Paths only contains "titleimage".

Comment

The only place I could find the word favicon in the code was in this weird file \core\includes\md5_sums_vbulletin.php. It had a whole bunch of encryption after it... I feel like my changes are being overruled by this file somehow. favicon.ico in the root always works. This is very strange behaviour.

Comment

The Favicon goes in the base, or root, directory of the website. This will be used by browsers unless otherwise directed. vBulletin has a favicon in its base directory. You can overwrite this file with your custom image. There is no individual favicon for the AdminCP.

You can also tell vBulletin to use a different file other than favicon.ico by updating the favicon style variable in the AdminCP under Styles -> Style Manager. Choose "Style Variable Editor" from the Choose Action... drop down for your specific style.

This behavior is not new to vBulletin 5. It works the exact same way in vBulletin 3 and 4.

You shouldn't be editing the code of vBulletin 5. Any changes will be overwritten when you upgrade. Everything that should be edited including templates, phrases, and style variables are stored in the database. Same as the last two decades.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

And what is the favicon in /js/jquery/datatables/images?

I want all upgrades to work - I always avoid coding changes when the software is working properly. I'm sure my root favicon will appear after I clear my browser data or something - clearing browser cache didnt work in chrome or firefox to show new favicon. But I know its there so it will probably show up. In general, I need the rest of the upgrade instructions from 4.2.5 to 5.5.6. Avatars are appearing beside posts but not in profiles, except sometimes, for example. The instructions said to not delete avatars and other images, but didnt tell me how to put them back into vbulletin 5. I cant see the avatar drop down menu when selecting an avatar anymore either. These are all image issues from the upgrade.
            Last edited by paulnicholson; Fri 7 Feb '20, 4:13pm.

Comment

Originally posted by paulnicholson View Post
              And what is the favicon in /js/jquery/datatables/images?
              Some file that ships with the datatables plugin of JQUERY. When we redistribute third-party code, we're required to redistribute as they make it available to comply with international copyright laws and the license agreement provided with the code.

I want all upgrades to work - I always avoid coding changes when the software is working properly. I'm sure my root favicon will appear after I clear my browser data or something - clearing browser cache didnt work in chrome or firefox to show new favicon. But I know its there so it will probably show up.
              Set the favicon style variable to point to your existing favicon image. This is the exact procedure used in the vBulletin 4 version you were using previously. It has not changed.

In general, I need the rest of the upgrade instructions from 4.2.5 to 5.5.6. Avatars are appearing beside posts but not in profiles, except sometimes, for example. The instructions said to not delete avatars and other images, but didnt tell me how to put them back into vbulletin 5. I cant see the avatar drop down menu when selecting an avatar anymore either. These are all image issues from the upgrade.
              There is no way to restore your avatars from vBulletin 4. Each avatar needs to be manually uploaded to the user. The majority of our customers use custom avatars which are stored in /core/customavatars. These will carry over in the upgrade. I will make a note on the upgrade instructions that avatars provided by the site owner are no longer supported. Users need to upload their own avatars.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                There is no way to restore your avatars from vBulletin 4. Each avatar needs to be manually uploaded to the user. The majority of our customers use custom avatars which are stored in /core/customavatars. These will carry over in the upgrade. I will make a note on the upgrade instructions that avatars provided by the site owner are no longer supported. Users need to upload their own avatars.
                That note would contradict the instructions, which clearly say not to delete them (even though it causes upgrade issues). Please reply to my support ticket about paid subscriptions. You've remained silent for 8 days.

Comment