Is Sphinx search a game-changer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Sphinx search a game-changer?

Does implementing Sphinx search make a significant difference? I have moderately large forums with posts spanning quite a few years.

What are the pros and cons?

There isn't a simple yes or no answer.

Sphinx will allow you to offset your keyword based searches to another daemon outside of MySQL/MariaDB. If you have Sphinx running on a different server or virtual machine, this can help balance loads on large sites. Or you can place Sphinx on SSD drives to save some money and possibly gain performance. In the end, it will really depend on your own personal server configuration. We use Sphinx here but also use multiple web servers tied to a database server.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      There isn't a simple yes or no answer.

Sphinx will allow you to offset your keyword based searches to another daemon outside of MySQL/MariaDB. If you have Sphinx running on a different server or virtual machine, this can help balance loads on large sites. Or you can place Sphinx on SSD drives to save some money and possibly gain performance. In the end, it will really depend on your own personal server configuration. We use Sphinx here but also use multiple web servers tied to a database server.
      I understand my server uses SSD storage.

I find the standard search a little limited in flexibility. If Sphinx is running here I will see if it's any different.

Comment

Sphinx doesn't add search capabilities such as natural language or fulltext search. It works just like the built-in Database Search as far as functionality.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          Sphinx doesn't add search capabilities such as natural language or fulltext search. It works just like the built-in Database Search as far as functionality.
          I was afraid of that.

Providing a Google search box might be attractive in many respects.

Comment

I believe there is an addon at vBulletin.org that adds a Google search. I haven't tested or looked at it though.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by imager View Post

I was afraid of that.

Providing a Google search box might be attractive in many respects.
              Google search creates a whole plethora of additional third party privacy concerns. Some sites are fine with redirecting users to third party sites. Others are not. It really depends upon your users concern for privacy. Google advertises, markets, researches, sells, and solicits using the data of Google users.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

Google search creates a whole plethora of additional third party privacy concerns. Some sites are fine with redirecting users to third party sites. Others are not. It really depends upon your users concern for privacy. Google advertises, markets, researches, sells, and solicits using the data of Google users.
                Not everyone cares about third-party privacy. In fact, I would say most people don't care about third-party privacy. If they did, Android wouldn't be the largest smartphone operating system in the world by units sold. Nor would Google be the worlds most used website.

As this person is talking about their own personal sites, this reply really has no meaning whatsoever.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  In Omnibus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was under the impression the customer was asking for a Google search to be a part of the core software. If that was incorrect then I apologize for having an invalid opinion on the issue.

• imager
                  imager commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry for any confusion; I was thinking of just providing a Google search box that was set up to only search the forum by default. I have seen something like this elsewhere. It has pros and cons - the search results will inevitably include stuff not relevant but it will probably be more flexible to use than the inbuilt search. I wasn't asking or expecting vBulletin to have such a feature built in. I also agree with Wayne Luke that for many Google is not a privacy issue as long as you understand what Google can and does do. It doesn't bother me but I do understand why it might bother some. As a forum webmaster I have to consider both angles.