Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    My threshold for pushing a feature/improvement request to the managers/developers is this page here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...rch/6/search/1

I am pretty sure the top four issues (and quite a few others) on that page will never be implemented as written in the JIRA.
    I think the fifth issue in the list is critical to a modern CMS.
    VBV-4436 was partially implemented in 5.5.6 as Admins can invite people by email in the AdminCP and Site Builder's Quick Setup.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

Votes are one way we try to determine how important the issue is to people. When choosing features to add, we have to address resource availability as well. That is how much time the developers have. The vBulletin team isn't very large. There are 2 developers and a devops programmer who splits his time between developing vBulletin, creating new release packages, and maintaining the vB.com website. Every version, there is a planning meeting on what to develop for the next eight weeks. Issue Votes are factored in as well as how critical an issue is, what bugs need to be fixed ASAP, current development queues, and business needs. Then if a super critical issue, i.e. a security issue occurs, that can bump issues from the planned queue.

People will say we should just add more people but it isn't that simple. Some parts of the code are almost 2 decades old and there aren't a lot of comments. Some fragments don't even meet current code standards. Plus there are a lot of interactions with third-party code like CKEditor, Facebook, Google Recaptcha, jQuery, and more. With vBulletin 5.0.0, they added a lot of people to the project temporarily. The current developers are still refactoring and updating a lot of that older code with every release. Adding someone new would probably take 3-6 months before they are up to speed.
    The detail in your response is most welcome. I actually guessed it was a bit like that. My question was really seeking to know what is the threshold for something to be accepted as a feature that should be added - depending on resources - rather than one that needs to pass that threshold.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by imager View Post
    I've voted - how many votes does it need to be accepted?
    Votes are one way we try to determine how important the issue is to people. When choosing features to add, we have to address resource availability as well. That is how much time the developers have. The vBulletin team isn't very large. There are 2 developers and a devops programmer who splits his time between developing vBulletin, creating new release packages, and maintaining the vB.com website. Every version, there is a planning meeting on what to develop for the next eight weeks. Issue Votes are factored in as well as how critical an issue is, what bugs need to be fixed ASAP, current development queues, and business needs. Then if a super critical issue, i.e. a security issue occurs, that can bump issues from the planned queue.

People will say we should just add more people but it isn't that simple. Some parts of the code are almost 2 decades old and there aren't a lot of comments. Some fragments don't even meet current code standards. Plus there are a lot of interactions with third-party code like CKEditor, Facebook, Google Recaptcha, jQuery, and more. With vBulletin 5.0.0, they added a lot of people to the project temporarily. The current developers are still refactoring and updating a lot of that older code with every release. Adding someone new would probably take 3-6 months before they are up to speed.

Leave a comment:

• spacy
    replied
    Voted too!
    will be a good thing

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    I've voted - how many votes does it need to be accepted?

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Voted on it. VB5 would benefit from this.
    One of those improvement requests I thought would have more votes. Definitely a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Peabody
    replied
    Voted on it. VB5 would benefit from this.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    There is an open feature request to add it here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-17381

It most likely will not happen until after we drop support for Internet Explorer 11 in the next version of vBulletin. IE causes problems when using newer Javascript formats and features.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    What's the chance of this being extended to the standard version? I think the idea of a dedicated mobile client app is very unattractive these days. Other forums I use with a mobile (and desktop) browser have push notifications.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It is currently only supported in the Mobile Client Apps.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    started a topic Firebase and push notifications

Firebase and push notifications

Is Firebase functionality only for the Mobile suite version of vBulletin or can I implement it for standard vBulletin 5 Connect?