Problem upgrading from vB 4.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem upgrading from vB 4.2

Purchased a vb5 upgrade yesterday, as a forum I was still running (vB 4.2.something) had gone dead because of a server upgrade to PHP 7. So I downloaded the tarball of the latest version from members area, ran the upload, and went to upgrade per instructions, and I can't.

The readme says this..That's all great, except there's no directory called forums, and no directory called install anywhere. Would love to run the script, but I can't. Not sure where to go with this. Downloaded both the tarball and the zip fie and looked in both, and can't find any upgrade stuff anywhere.
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; Tue 14th Jan '20, 9:58am. Reason: Typo
    Joe Siegler - Webmaster
    Black Sabbath Online

We can't guess the exact location where vBulletin is installed by every customer. So we use examples in the documentation. The most common directory to have vBulletin installed in is called /forum/. If you don't access your vBulletin site with a /forum/ in the URL, you should adjust the example URLS to fit your needs.

If you access vBulletin at JoeSieglar.com then you would enter JoeSieglar.com/install/upgrade.php. Provided you followed all the instructions, you would be directed to that location.

If your forum directory is called "myforums" then you would replace forums with myforums in the URL.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

That's fair - I understand that but I had a look through the directories, and didn't see an install directory anywhere. I'll have another look. Could have sworn I looked everywhere, I just assumed it would be off the root.
      Joe Siegler - Webmaster
      Black Sabbath Online

Comment

It is in /core/.

In the long run, it really doesn't matter where the install/upgrade client files exist within the vBulletin directory. Every URL is a virtual URL and do not map to directories on the file system. Absolutely every single URL gets redirected to index.php. vBulletin 5 is a completely different application than vBulletin 4. Which is why you have to delete your old files before upgrading.

Your vBulletin directory should look exactly like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-01-14_10-32-18.png Views:	0 Size:	7.2 KB ID:	4431803

The majority of the application (1500+ files) is in the /core/ directory which looks like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-01-14_10-33-16.png Views:	0 Size:	36.6 KB ID:	4431804

Wayne Luke

Comment

Yeah, I found it. That's on me. My mind is still in vb4 land (what I remember anyway, it's been ages).

Question now is that it presents me with the page where I have to enter a whole bunch of database info, passwords, etc. Since I'm upgrading from 4, do I duplicate what I have in the old version, or do I create new ones, and the script imports from the old vb4 database?
          Joe Siegler - Webmaster
          Black Sabbath Online

Comment

You can fill in the values here, make sure to use mysqli as the database type or manually edit your config.php files and skip this page.

Manually editing the config.php files

Occasionally, the Configuration Builder tool will fail to write your config.php files. When this happens you will need to edit the files manually. If you're still on the Configuration Builder tool, you can copy and paste the contents of each window into their respective files and save. If not, you will need to manually edit the files using a text editor. Do so following these steps:
            1. In your vbulletin_root find the file named config.php.bkp. Rename it to config.php using your FTP client.
            2. In your vbulletin_core enter the includes folder. Look for a file named config.php.new. Rename it to config.php. You will need to edit this file. If you're using Filezilla, open the context menu (right-click in Windows) and choose "View/Edit File". It will ask you what application to use. We recommend Notepad++ or Wordpad.
            3. You will need to update several values in this file in order to connect to your database and receive error emails. These are
              • Database Name: $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum'; Replace forum with your database name.
              • Server Name: $config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost'; Replace localhost with your servername if required by your hosting provider.
              • Server Port: $config['MasterServer']['port'] = 3306; Change 3306 with the port number that your hosting company provides, if any. Otherwise don't change this.
              • Database User Name: $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root'; Replace root with your database user name.
              • Database User Password: $config['MasterServer']['password'] = ''; Place your database user password between the quotes.
              • Technical Email $config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]'; Replace [email protected] with your email address.
              • If you don't know any of these values, you will need to contact your hosting provider to obtain them. vBulletin Technical Support does not have this information.
            4. After making your changes save your file.
            5. Return to your FTP client and upload the file to your server. If you're using FileZilla and it was running in the background, it will automatically prompt to upload the updated file.
            6. Once this is completed, you can return to Step 8 of Running the Install Wizard.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Nevermind. Figured it out.
              Last edited by Joe Siegler; Tue 14th Jan '20, 11:08am. Reason: Nevermind. Don't need this reply anymore.
              Joe Siegler - Webmaster
              Black Sabbath Online

Comment

You want to use the files from your vBulletin 5 package. We have added configuration values over time. There are variables for two-factor authorization setup, restricting AdminCP access via IP Address, image uploads, proxy servers, caching defaults, and more that d o not exist for vBulletin 4. Others in the list may exist in vBulletin 4 but either the default was changed or we exposed them to the customer for better support. If these variables are missing the defaults, this can affect how your software works. You can compare the two files to see the differences.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  You want to use the files from your vBulletin 5 package. We have added configuration values over time. There are variables for two-factor authorization setup, restricting AdminCP access via IP Address, image uploads, proxy servers, caching defaults, and more that d o not exist for vBulletin 4. Others in the list may exist in vBulletin 4 but either the default was changed or we exposed them to the customer for better support. If these variables are missing the defaults, this can affect how your software works. You can compare the two files to see the differences.
                  I'm up and running with the upgrader now. Got it sorted. I was using v4.2.2 before now, so it's got a gazillion steps to go through. Will report back with success or any problems I run into.
                  Joe Siegler - Webmaster
                  Black Sabbath Online

Comment

How long should I let one of these things go before coming concerned? It's been on this one for awhile now (probably about 15 mins). Now I know the whole procedure takes awhile, but one individual step taking that long concerns me. We never used blogs before here.

And if it is stuck, what's the next step?

Edit: .... and I got an email with a database error, so something not good happened.

Edit 2: From the email, it said this.. "Unknown column 'emailstamp' in 'field list'" and error number 1054.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 1.37.55 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	190.1 KB ID:	4431829
                    Joe Siegler - Webmaster
                    Black Sabbath Online

Comment

Additional - I tried refreshing the upgrade script, and it's still stuck at that spot. Not sure how to get past that now.

Edit: I tried refreshing a second time, and it repeated that "nodes" message again ,but this time got moving again.
                      Last edited by Joe Siegler; Tue 14th Jan '20, 12:09pm.
                      Joe Siegler - Webmaster
                      Black Sabbath Online

Comment

Finished. It's fully upgraded. I now have a million settings to to go through, as 4.2.2 was the last version I was running. Need to see what stuff does.
                        Joe Siegler - Webmaster
                        Black Sabbath Online

Comment