X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowerfairy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Pasted code can cause problems like this. Especially when a post is broken up in quotes as that will create an improper subset of HTML. Certain tags only work when embedded in other tags. Some tags like <font> doesn't allow tags within it. In addition to this, the font tag is deprecated. Most web browsers try to fix this on display but aren't always successful.

We've done a lot of work on preserving code and fixing quotes as well as updating the base editor itself. The Ckeditor editor update alone fixes hundreds of bugs within it.

I recommend upgrading to 5.5.6 to take advantage of these and hopefully your workflow will be handled better.
    Yes, I'm aware of the need for tags to be not only closed, but also closed in the right order in HTML, and I think that was the issue here, the text contained a lot of tags which I split up in quotes without taking the time to remove the tags.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Pasted code can cause problems like this. Especially when a post is broken up in quotes as that will create an improper subset of HTML. Certain tags only work when embedded in other tags. Some tags like <font> doesn't allow tags within it. In addition to this, the font tag is deprecated. Most web browsers try to fix this on display but aren't always successful.

We've done a lot of work on preserving code and fixing quotes as well as updating the base editor itself. The Ckeditor editor update alone fixes hundreds of bugs within it.

I recommend upgrading to 5.5.6 to take advantage of these and hopefully your workflow will be handled better.

Leave a comment:

• Flowerfairy
    replied
    I have managed to copy most of the content to a new thread somehow, even though I wasn't able to even see the posts to select them, after a number of tries, it's on a new thread save for the last post which is the one where the quotes went wrong, I've done just a screenshot of that post so the OP can see what was posted and closed the new thread to avoid corruption if any of the text is quoted. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I suspect it may have had something to do with FONT tags on quoted text. It's not that members actually bother changing the fonts, what happens is, they sometimes copy and past text from other sites and it comes with font formatting, so when quote the text, I can see lots of FONT coding on it, I think this may have been the cause of the problem if it was broken HMTL, probably broken FONT tags on the offending post. The new thread looks OK: https://www.forum.ukcen.com/forum/se...his-one-closed

Leave a comment:

• Flowerfairy
    replied
    What happens if you go into the AdminCP and temporarily de-activate your Notices?
    Deactivated the notice but didn't fix the issue.
    Can you use inline moderation on the page? If so, what happens if you temporarily delete the post with the quotes?
    The post with the quotes seems to be the first 11 posts all lumped together, the only box I can tick is the one at the very top, which tells me I have selected 11 posts, I tried soft-deleting them but nothing changed, I didn't get the usual list of posts saying they were deleted, show/hide/manage, etc. But I did have the option to undelete by ticking the box again, however, none of this actually changed anything.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    What happens if you go into the AdminCP and temporarily de-activate your Notices?

Can you use inline moderation on the page? If so, what happens if you temporarily delete the post with the quotes?

Leave a comment:

• Flowerfairy
    replied
    It gets even stranger! The post appears in the CMS section as one of the articles there, even though it was always a forum post, and only the one post out of the whole thread shows as an article, then if I click on "Go to post", it takes me to the corrupted forum thread!

Leave a comment:

• Flowerfairy
    replied
    There is some broken HTML somewhere on the page and it is exacerbated by the first post.
    Thanks for the prompt response, how do I fix that? The thread was fine until I responded to it this afternoon, that's the only post you can see. I did nothing other than click the quote button and then split up the quote manually by copying and pasting the quote code to the beginning of each chunk of text I wish to quote, like I do all the time and I'm doing it right here. Users can't use HTML and I only use it very occasionally on some CMS posts and a handful of posts in the private admin area.

Also why do you have the Calendar module on every page? This doesn't serve any purpose except to use resources. It doesn't appear that you're using Events at all.
    We haven't yet got any events for this year but we did have quite a few last year. But it's been there since the forum was set up a year ago and this is the first time I've seen this kind of corruption.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    There is some broken HTML somewhere on the page and it is exacerbated by the first post.

Also why do you have the Calendar module on every page? This doesn't serve any purpose except to use resources. It doesn't appear that you're using Events at all.

Leave a comment:

• Flowerfairy
    started a topic [Bug / Issue] Very strange thread corruption

Very strange thread corruption

This thread speaks for itself, it's supposed to have a number of posts, which you can still read if you go to the user's profile and see what they have posted. Note that it's not possible to do anything with this post, clicking on Edit, Quote, etc. doesn't do anything and I can't even select the text and paste it into the reply box. I also tried editing the page from the Edit Site menu but didn't make any difference. In fact, looking at the bottom of the thread, it does seem to have kind of crossed over into the CMS, as it has the links from the CMS sidebar, only this thread started life, and has always been, on the forum!

This is the thread: https://www.forum.ukcen.com/forum/se...for-eu-parents
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X