How to prevent unmoderated new users from being shown statistics module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent unmoderated new users from being shown statistics module

Edit: the title is a bit misleading because I missed out 'in' as in: shown IN statistics module (sorry). I can't edit the title.

Some time ago we decided to moderate all new registrants because 90% were spammers, even after beefing up the automatic human verification hurdles.

It hasn't stopped many spammers and this means that until they are moderated and deleted they are shown in 'welcome to our newest member' in the statistics module. Can the 'awaiting moderation' users be excluded from the statistics module somehow?
    Last edited by imager; Tue 26th Nov '19, 6:47am.

1. Edit the Page in Site Builder.
    2. Edit the module by clicking on its pencil icon.
    3. Under Module Permissions, select "Show to Specific Usergroups".
    4. Select the groups you want to show it to.
    5. Save the Module.
    6. Save the Page.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I already looked at that but doesn't that simply hide the module from selected user groups? I want to maintain visibility of the module to everyone but not display new registrants who are in the to be moderated user group.

Comment

Users Awaiting Moderation shouldn't be shown. It will show users when they are moved to the Registered User group.

However, there are no settings to control which groups show as the newest member.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I had another abusive spammer just now and this time they didn't even include a valid email address so it was a failed registration, but it still showed up on welcome to our newest member. I may have to removed the stats module altogether if I can't work around this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            Users Awaiting Moderation shouldn't be shown. It will show users when they are moved to the Registered User group.

However, there are no settings to control which groups show as the newest member.
            All my forums have shown new registrants before they have been moderated in the stats module. Is there a setting to control this? What about deliberate spammers who simply make a registration with no attempt to confirm their email (which is usually false)?

Comment

It would be a bug. You are welcome to log it as such in the Bug Tracker.

There is no setting for this. I am not sure how much spamming one can do with their username. It can't be used as a link to somewhere else.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• imager
                imager commented
                Editing a comment
                The registrant uses an abusive term as a user name, which continues in the profile information. Someone has something against our forum, unfortunately. Which is very odd as we have a very relaxed membership and only very occasionally do we need to kick out established members.

• Wayne Luke
                Wayne Luke commented
                Editing a comment
                - You can prevent those terms from being used in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> User Registration Options. There is a field to list banned user names.
                - You can prevent these users from modifying any Profile information in the Usergroup Permissions under Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager.
                - You can prevent their access to much of the site by changing the channel permissions on the Home Node.

• imager
                imager commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Luke - all good info, but this guy is simply making fake registrations with a name that is an insult to the site and the profile info is more diatribe. He's not using expletives that can easily be filtered. He's also using known spam IP addresses. I have hundreds of these addresses in our IP ban, too.
                I've switched off registration for now.
            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X