Caching problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caching problem?

I often see this message on our forums: "Search result already expired, please try a new search.", when I use the same link twice. On clearing system cache in admincp the results then available again. How can I stop this message to see? It is way to often to see and it really is a showstopper.

This happens in other forums also, so yours is not the only one. I did not figure out why, but when it happens and you just refresh the page it will not disappear. Only after you visit another page you could load the content of the page where the error showed up.

Comment

BulliM This happens every time at the same time, right?
      At 5 minutes every hour

Comment

• delicjous
        delicjous commented
        Editing a comment
        We are not able to make any connection between times, user or visitor, posts, forums or anything else.

• BulliM
        BulliM commented
        Editing a comment
        I am not sure, but it seems, that it happens not all times.

Originally posted by delicjous View Post
      This happens in other forums also, so yours is not the only one. I did not figure out why, but when it happens and you just refresh the page it will not disappear. Only after you visit another page you could load the content of the page where the error showed up.
      I have found that I can visit 10 pages, go back and the error is still there. It seems to time out and then goes away, but that is just a guess. Yes it's a very annoying bug and not easy to recreate

Comment

The error in the first post has nothing to do with the Cache tables in the database.

Searches last for one hour and expire. This behavior hasn't changed since vBulletin 3.X. Perform the search again if you still need it.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Wayne Luke : No, this is not a regular search by formular but from search modules e. g. on home page new posts.

This is the content of the search module container:
          Code:
          {"type":["vBForum_Event","vBForum_Gallery","vBForum_Link","vBForum_Poll","vBForum_Text","vBForum_Video"],"channel":["2"],"sort":{"created":"desc"},"view":"","exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage"]}

Comment

It is still a search. No different than if you enter a keyword into the search box. It lasts for an hour and expires. Refreshing the page would perform a new search. The results can be different for every user visiting your site depending on permission. If we were to continually refresh these searches in the background, then your site would grind to a halt.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              It is still a search. No different than if you enter a keyword into the search box. It lasts for an hour and expires. Refreshing the page would perform a new search. The results can be different for every user visiting your site depending on permission. If we were to continually refresh these searches in the background, then your site would grind to a halt.
              When I click a new post in search module, link opens the site. Then I go back to home. Then I click the same link, I get the message "Search result already expired, please try a new search.". That sucks. It is a showstopper. I can even reload start page, it doesn't change anything. When I hit the link, I get "Search result already expired, please try a new search.". Whatever is responsable for, I would like do turn this off. How can I do this?

Comment

You cannot turn it off. Something is wrong with your database. We'll need to be able to look at your server via a support ticket.

Wayne Luke

Comment

This has come up before:
                  https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19238
                  https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19279
                  https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19376

It's very difficult to reproduce with any consistency. I was getting it on my demo site's groups page for a while but it hasn't happened recently.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                  This has come up before...
                  Not group site is affected on my forums but main page.

Comment

We need to see the database in the state where it consistently fails for all users. We can sit here and talk about it all day but until we actually have a failing database, we won't be able to solve the issue. We don't even know why the issue is occurring.

There is absolutely no diagnostic information provided that would help us solve the issue.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      Wayne Luke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The problem with pressing F5 in your browser, is that the browser can reload the page from its internal cache. Which we actually have little control over. Even if we tell the client to never cache the page, the user can override this. Then when they click a link to do something that is when it interacts with the server and they get an error. So they click the back button and the process repeats. We can add code so that /search/ is never cached on the client but this isn't going to fix the issue 100% and it can increase load times for end users.

If you click in the Address Bar and hit enter, it sends a new request to the server immediately. This triggers a new search

The system is really designed to work as an Webapp where users use the interface provided by vBulletin. Unfortunately, again, we have little control over user habits.

• delicjous
                      delicjous commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for explanation.. so we have to find the first issue "Search result already expired, please try a new search.". The cache of searches are expiring. Could it be, that the user enter the page right in that second (or one second before) the cache expires and the data could not load, because cache is available and not? Or something like that... As I said, I searched a lot for an answer because users report that often in high frequent forums.

• Wayne Luke
                      Wayne Luke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      From what I understand:

- Searches are stored for one hour in the "searchlog" table.
                      - Searches are shared among users for performance reasons.
                      - If the row is deleted from the searchlog table then it is expired.
                      - There is no way to retrieve an expired search.

I think I did find the problem.

The clean cron run every hour (5 minutes after full hour) and use search-lib to delete all searchlogs for a specific time. But the cache of that logs are not handled by that. So some user report that problem could recreated mostly for 1 minute (+/-) and every search-cache is written to the cache with an expire by 60 seconds.

The search-results in cache should also been handled by that cron!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      Wayne Luke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your description of the issue is written much better here than in the bug report. You should update the bug report to be more clear.

• delicjous
                      delicjous commented
                      Editing a comment
                      done right now

• Carrfixr
                      Carrfixr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Voted. Hope to see this fixed real soon. It's very annoying to get locked out of a thread