Not possible to register new users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not possible to register new users

I updated to vB5.5.5 a few days ago, but didn't find out about the problem before now.

In user registration options, new registrations are allowed, they are not moderated, and do not receie a welcome message.

When trying to registering a new user, I fill in all the fields, press "Complete signup", and get the message "
    No permissions for section 'privatemessage'
    ".
    Trying to log in afterwards, I get "
    You do not have a valid password configured for your account. Please reset your password via the reset password link
    ".
    The password is empty in AdminCP, and I edit it manually.
    Logging in now works OK.

However, a few of my regular users have suddenly found that their passwords have gone away. In AdminCP they show up as empty. Possibly related?

Go to Settings -> Options -> User Registration Options. Turn off "Send Private Message to New User"

Or give them a private message quota larger than 0 in the Usergroup Manager.

Passwords will always be empty in the AdminCP. The software has no way of determining or showing the password as it is.

The password error you're showing would appear when the user doesn't have a password stored in a valid theme. If they reset their password with the link provided under the error the system will allow them to log in.

What are the contents of your /core/includes/xml/pwschemes_vbulletin.xml file?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I didn't see the last question when I wrote "thank you", Wayne Luke .

It's:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
        <schemes>
        <scheme name='blowfish:10' priority='10' />
        <scheme name='legacy' priority='1' />
        </schemes>

Comment

Hmm... They should be able to login if their passwords were properly translated when upgrading from vBulletin 4.X. They would be using the legacy password scheme.

If you can run queries on your database, run this query:

Code:
          select token,scheme from user where userid=XXX
          Replace XXX with the user id of a user with the problem. If you have a table_prefix defined in your /core/includes/config.php you would need to prepend that to the user table name in the query.
          Does the token field have a value? With the legacy scheme it should look like two strings of text with a space in the middle. What is the scheme set to for the user? It should say legacy.

If the user has successfully logged in and/or updated their password, then their token will start with $2y$10 and their scheme should be set to blowfish:10.

Still they should be able to click the password reset link and receive an email with the one-time URL to do the password reset.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment