Permissions for specific forum/channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permissions for specific forum/channel

I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this...
    Our new forum is divided by state, and each new user we want to only have access to the particular state they are in - what is the most effective way to do this?

Have you considered the usergroup option?

Comment

That was my go to solution, but the thought of creating 50 usergroups, seemed cumbersome to manage, so I was looking to see if there was an easier way. If I do that, maintining the main "registered users" usergroup as well, would those permissions supercede?

Comment

Using forums and usergroups would be a logistics, management and permissions nightmare. You would need total number of forums time 50 to create proper permissions across the site. So if each state has 3 forums, you need 150 sets permissions to manage them all. More if you add military and territory designations. Not only is this time consuming to manage from a human perspective, it can cause performance issues on your site managing all these permission groups.

Personally, I would use Groups instead of forums.

Create a Group Category for each state within the AdmincP. Then create your groups and assign moderators on the front-end. Users would then join the groups they are interested in. Each group can have one or more moderators that removes users that don't live in that state, if they really care. With this scenario, you don't need to the hassle of managing all those permissions. You don't have to change channel permissions and all users can be in a single usergroup instead of 50 different groups. You can even make Groups the home page of your site with a couple of clicks.

You can also work around people that want to be in multiple states due to living on the border, owning vacation homes, family, etc... They can simply join multiple groups without asking to have their usergroups changed in the AdminCP.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X