Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dimension limits for uploads

When uploading large images on vb forum you get this message:

The dimension limits for this filetype are 2000 x 2000. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 4877 x 3515.
    Photo camera's are getting better and better with higher res. I don't think users should be bothered with resizing images first before the will upload it to a VB forum.

I am curious how other vb forums handle this issue? What max dimensions have you set?
    Please vote for:
    - Lightbox for all uploads
    - Attachment permissions for unregistered users

You can set the dimensions as high as you like but they will still be limited by other parameters like file size and PHP limits.

The config.php file has a hard limit of 4608 X 4608 but I believe Wayne Luke has an improvement request to make these defaults larger.

The biggest thing is huge images are going to slow page load times. If you have large numbers of 70+MB images on a page it's going to cause issues more often than not.

Unless your forum is specifically a photo forum there's probably no need to go larger than the typical 4K desktop screen dimensions. That's 4096 X 2160. In some cases it's 3840 X 2160.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
      The config.php file has a hard limit of 4608 X 4608 but I believe Wayne Luke has an improvement request to make these defaults larger.
      Only for vBulletin Cloud. Download customers can already modify these values as high as they want. Their servers may not like it if they go too large but that is their choice.

To allow larger image uploads you have to:
      1. Adjust the values allowed in the AdminCP under Attachments -> Attachment Storage Type. Both Dimensions and File Size.
      2. Adjust the maximum allowed image size in the /core/includes/config.php
      3. For PHP, you will have to adjust the maximum input times, the maximum post size (must be larger than the uploaded file), and the maximum allowed file upload.
      4. If storing attachments in the database, then you have to adjust the max_allowed_packet size in MySQL.
      5. You may have to adjust the size of the /tmp partition on your server.
      6. You may have to adjust time outs in your Web Server, whichever application that may be.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 15th Oct '19, 11:55am.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I changed it so users are able to upload attachments directly from the phones.
        Please vote for:
        - Lightbox for all uploads
        - Attachment permissions for unregistered users

Comment