Please Help - Converting From Connect to Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help - Converting From Connect to Cloud

Hello. I will try to briefly explain my issue first, then provide more detail below.

My vBulletin site was taken offline by the hosting company (Digital Ocean) due to my site somehow contributing to a DDOS attack. I have been paying a friend who manages the hosting through Digital Ocean, as I'm not very technically savvy for the backend/server stuff. My friend is refusing to continue, and was only able to get a backup of the files. I assume this means the forum structure as well as the databse. I would like to resurrect my site and convert it to vBulletin Cloud, so that I can continue running it while never having to worry about the hosting stuff again. I also think that I'm behind on many updates and that there are features I can't take advantage of because my hosting provider is so uncooperative. I believe that having stability would be worth more than the few features I might lose from going from Connect to Cloud. I don't care about my third-party plugins anymoe - after all, what good are they if the site is unstable or unreachable?

What would be required for me to accomplish this? I am willing to pay for professional help, but I don't have a ton of money, and my site does not generate revenue and operates at a net loss.

More details:

I wanted to go with vBulletin Cloud in the first place. My friend convinced me to pay for the one-time license instead and host it through him. At first, he said he would do this for me for free. Over time, I needed changes made to the sever to optimize the site, and had some technical issues. He didn't want to do the work required, so I started paying him. But any time I've needed changes or updates server-side, he's been a huge pain about it. Fast forward to last week, and my site goes down. No one can access it. I ask him to look into it, and he forwards me an email from the hosting company, Digital Ocean, with the following:

We are writing to let you know that your Droplet

forum.highonhockey.com
    has been disconnected from the network after it contributed 25258.67 pps to a 460133.63 pps Distributed Denial of Service attack. The network traffic from your Droplet matches a pattern of malicious traffic originating from other Droplets targeted at a specific victim. We understand how disruptive this may be to your work; however, it was critical for us to disconnect your Droplet to reduce further harm.

This caused a pretty big argument between us. He refused to set up a new droplet and port the site over to it. He told me he would get network access back and backup "the files", and then confirmed to me today that he had.

- Which files exactly are required to move from Connect to Cloud? (I assume the forum structure [everything I could access via FTP] and the database?)
    - Is there professional help available from vBulletin to perform the migration?
    - If so, how much would that cost?
    - If so, how would I hand over the required files?
    - Will all users, passwords, and posts be preserved?
    - Will I be able to "sell back" my lifetime license to Connect, or use it as credit somehow?

Thank you for any advice and help you can provide!

Once you purchase either a yearly silver package or a monthly bronze with the migration service, we will contact you about migrating. This will include requests for all the necessary information.

Users, passwords, and data are not stored in the files. They are stored in the MySQL database. It isn't necessary to preserve the vBulletin files that you download from us. They can always be replaced and do not contain any information that isn't reproducible.

To migrate, we need a backup of your database. If you store attachments and customavatars in the file system, we need copies of those directories as well. Most people just ZIP them up.

We will not be able to provide a refund against a 4 year old license. For your other questions, you need to contact [email protected].
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thank you Wayne.

Would a bronze yearly package also include migration service? And do I indeed need to pay for migration service even though I'm essentially giving up my lifetime vB Connect license to pay monthly for the Cloud service?

I have Ticket ID 2309569 open for this as well. I understand the requirements and will be able to produce what is required, but I'm worried about finding my "user number" on the site. Since it's offline and I can't get it back up until migrating, is there a way for me to find my user number in the files?

Thanks again for your help and reply.

Comment

My name on the forum is Josh. That is my admin account as well. I have a URL in my history: http://forum.highonhockey.com/member/52-josh

Does that mean my user number is 52?

Comment

Yes.

Would a bronze yearly package also include migration service? And do I indeed need to pay for migration service even though I'm essentially giving up my lifetime vB Connect license to pay monthly for the Cloud service?
          You would have to contact sales about migration costs. You can either reuse your download license or you may be able to transfer (sell) it to a third-party.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks Wayne. I've gone ahead and purchased the Cloud package with migration extension, and will start the work now. This thread can be closed. Thanks again for your help!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X