Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBCODE Autolinking Issue

Hey there,

So I have a BBCODE for Facebook whereby If a user is inserting there FB post onto the thread they would have [FB]https://www.facebook.com/fbname/posts/10162674615185529[/FB]. The only issue is that when submitting the post, nothing comes up. I found that upon editing the post, the system is placing in the URL BBCODE within the FB BBCODE and you end up with
    [FB][.URL]https://www.facebook.com/dean.suttle.7/posts/10162674615185529[/.URL][/FB] (I added the dots in the URL tag to kill it for this example)

In order to avoid this, after placing the link in between my FB tags, I remove the autolink using the editor and then submit the post, everything then works just fine. Is there a way to stop the system from auto linking the BBCODE and messing it up ?

Within my BBCODE config, I actually have it setup to Disable BB Code Within This BB Code, which I thought was what would fix this issue for me as you would expect it to kill the URL BBCODE that the system puts in automatically, alas it does not.

Please see a screenshot of my FB BBCODES settings here: https://i.ibb.co/nwLXYx5/FB-BBCODE.jpg

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
    P
    Attached Files

Edit the BBCode in the AdminCP and set the option for auto-parsing URLs to Yes.

Save it. If it is Yes, toggle to no, save, then toggle to Yes.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks will give that a go, that sounds like a bug if you have to do it in that particular way ? Not saying it is but sounds odd that you have to do it in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        Edit the BBCode in the AdminCP and set the option for auto-parsing URLs to Yes.

Save it. If it is Yes, toggle to no, save, then toggle to Yes.
        Sorry, that does not seem to work. I tried your method a few times, but it is still parsing the URL. To get it to work I have to manually use the un-link feature before it will work. What is the next step ?

Thanks,
        P

Comment

If you add it in source mode does it auto-link? Source mode is the left most button in the menu bar for the editor.

Though the Link Content Type will probably parse the link the way you're anticipating. It works a bit differently.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks that seems to work, but has something changed ? We could always successfully pull this off by just inserting the link inside the BBCODE on the front end as the back-end settings would make sure the link was not parsed.

Comment

In fact while this works, it is not optimal as it disables half of the editor when in this mode. This adds needless additional steps in order to use the BBCODE. It would be much simpler to find out why the system no longer removed the linking !

Comment

I was trying to troubleshoot the issue, not provide a solution. Please hold your unrighteous indignation while I work to find a solution. I only have so much time every day and to be frank, this issue isn't really a major priority.

You're welcome to log it as a bug and it will go through the review process.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Hello Wayne,

I was not meaning to be as forthright as the post does indeed come off. I appreciate you looking into a solution and for the temporary work around. I was just surprised that the feature no longer worked. Just for a frame of reference, the parsing issue was not an issue prior to having to restore the forums after the zero day exploit. So either the restore is responsible or the patch, but I very much doubt the latter. As I say, I appreciate you looking into the issue.

If access is required to my site if you are unable to replicate, let me know and I will open a support ticket

Cheers,
                  P

Comment

Hey Wayne,

Were you able to see any obvious reason for this ? If not I can open a support ticket referencing this thread.

Thanks,
                    P

Comment

Bug report for this has been issued: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19739

Comment

Originally posted by panzerscope View Post
                        Within my BBCODE config, I actually have it setup to Disable BB Code Within This BB Code, which I thought was what would fix this issue for me as you would expect it to kill the URL BBCODE that the system puts in automatically, alas it does not.
                        Edit your [FB] bbcode and set "Disable Automatic Link Parsing Within This BB Code" to "NO".

Note: You'll have to manually edit any existing posts that are incorrect, but that should work for any new posts.
                        ~~~~~

Comment

I see the issue, I am not certain it is a vBulletin issue. I will consult with the developers. The problem is as soon as the URL is posted into the editor it turns into a hyperlink (it's blue.) However if you choose to "post as plain text" in pastes in black (as plain text) and everything works as expected. I assume it is a browser change causing the issue. You will want to "paste as plain text" to get around the issue for now.

Not all browsers show the "paste as plain text" option in my experience, in fact few seem to. However if you copy the URL from Notepad for example you don't get this issue so clearly the browser URL bar is adding extra code telling us that this is a hyperlink that is causing the issue.

Comment

You can also use Ctrl + Shift + V to force plain text when pasting (depends on OS and browser). You could also use source mode to ensure it pastes as plain text. Those are just a couple more alternatives.
                            ~~~~~

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for the workarounds. What I will say is that setting the "Disable Automatic Link Parsing Within This BB Code" to "NO" honestly makes no difference at all to my case. While there are workarounds, as I am sure you can agree this creates extra steps in order to achieve something that use to be as simple as insert tags, paste link and submit. So in my opinion the feature so far as ease of use has lost some value. Will there be a way to restore the ''simplicity'' of this function again in the future ? Or are we forever slave to the browser behavior ?

Cheers,
                              P

Comment