site suborned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• site suborned

someone got access to ftp and overwrote the index.php file with a redirect to a crappy link.
    to save me hunting for it - is there a copy of the original in the download somewhere.

You can download your original files in the Member's Area. You should apply the latest security patch and if you are not using vBulletin 5.5.4 Patch Level 1, you should upgrade. If you need assistance with this, please open a support ticket using the link in the footer of this page.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

uck.
      so i grabbed and restored the index.php and we were gtg for a few weeks until someone else got in and wiped everything.
      now i need a fresh install - and i'm going to get latest version - but we still have the DB. is there a how to to show me how to get to the old db from a fresh install. i did take a quick look but couldn't find anything.

Comment

Update the values in your '/core/includes/config.php' file to point to your existing database. The values you're looking for are:

PHP Code:
        $config['Database']['dbname']
        $config['MasterServer']['servername']
        $config['MasterServer']['port']
        $config['MasterServer']['username']
        $config['MasterServer']['password'
        You can obtain these values from your hosting provider and you would replace the default values to the right of the equal sign (=) between the single quotes (').

If you have vBulletin installed in a directory, you will need to check your other files to make sure there is nothing hiding in them. Look for index.php files, .htaccess files, and index.html.bak.bak files. Compare these files with the deployment copy of your website to make sure they have not been modified.

Wayne Luke

Comment

The entire site is empty now.
          I ssh'd in as root and deleted everything in public_html.
          They'd installed credential harvesting software and a bunch of other stuff I wanted rid of asap over the top of everything we had, blowing our stuff away, so I need to reinstall vb5 before i can do anything.

Comment

The database is not stored in your web directory. It should still be on the server. If not, then you will need to ask your hosting provider to restore a backup if they have one.

If you have an existing database, reinstalling vBulletin won't accomplish anything but delete all your data and throw your work away.

What you need to do is...
            1. Upload the vBulletin files to your server.
            2. Rename /config.php.bkp to /config.php.
            3. Rename /htaccess.txt to /.htaccess.
            4. Rename /core/includes/config.php.new to /core/includes/config.php.
            5. Edit /core/includes/config.php and update the values listed above...
            6. Save /core/includes/config.php.
            7. Your site should be accessible.

Wayne Luke

Comment

so i just finally got round to trying this. did all the stuff you suggested.
              it then is trying to do an install - wants me to enter my customer number. i didn't want to go further in case it wiped the db.
              if i delete the install directory it goes into a redirect loop.
              what did i do wrong?

Comment

The install script will not delete your database tables without confirmation. However, if the system detects that the tables exist, the install script will ask if you want to upgrade instead.

If it is asking you to do an installation, then either:
                1. the information in your /core/includes/config.php file is incorrect and it cannot see your database.
                2. The table prefix isn't defined.
                3. Or the database is incomplete.
                Verify the database connection information in your /core/includes/config.php file.

To verify the table prefix, look at your database using phpMyAdmin, or whatever tool your hosting provider gives you access to. Make sure that the table prefix in the database matches the one in the /core/includes/config.php. The first table in a vBulletin database should be named ad if you are not using a table prefix. If there are any characters before ad than that is your table prefix and should be defined in the /core/includes/config.php file.

Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 15th Nov '19, 10:18am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

so do i need to restore the install directory to proceed? or just remodify the config.php file?

Comment

I can't see your server so I can't answer that. You will need to follow the steps that outlined to troubleshoot the issue.

Wayne Luke

Comment

almost there. just getting emails about a missing table -

SELECT * FROM vb5loginlibrary
                      WHERE `productid` = 'twitterlogin'
                      LIMIT 1;

is there a schema anywhere so i can re-add it manually?

Comment