No announcement yet.

Notifications Lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If debug logging is on and you're in debug mode, then there will be a text file called vbdebuglog.log in your vBulletin directory.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Ok, nothing got logged when commented out, in debug mode.

I enabled debug mode and logging. Navigated to my Notification page (which included a 12 second lag).

Anything else I can try?
      vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

If Debug Logging is commented out, then it won't be processed and no log will be created. That is the entire point of the comment functionality. It prevents that code from being parsed by the PHP processor.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Sorry, I meant it. Is uncommented, hashes removed
          vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

I have noticed that, after visiting the notifications page for the first time, the pages of any new notifications load faster once in the notification area. It seems that it is just that initial visit.
            vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

It is probably an issue with the cache, or rather the lack of a cache, that is causing the issue then. What are the caching values in your /core/includes/config.php?

Wayne Luke

Comment

This is what is configured;

Code:
                     // ****** CACHE CONFIGURATION *****
                    // Here you can configure different methods for caching items.
                    // The following are the cacheing classes that can be used.
                    // vB_Cache_Db - This setting stores the data in the database
                    // vB_Cache_APC - This setting stores the data in APC
                    // vB_Cache_Memcached - This stores the data in memcache
                    // vB_Cache_Memory - This setting uses php's memory while a page is being generated.
                    // Each cache area can use its own cache type.
                $config['Cache']['class'][0] = 'vB_Cache_Db'; //regular cache
                $config['Cache']['class'][1] = 'vB_Cache_Memory'; //fastest cache
                $config['Cache']['class'][2] = 'vB_Cache_Db'; //largest cache and longest life.

//    Cache options are
                //         vB_Cache_Memory            fastest but doesn't survive a page load.
                //        vB_Cache_Db                significant speed improvement and available to everyone.
                //        vB_Cache_Filesystem        good performance, reduces traffic and load on db server. Not available to everyone-
                //                                your web server must be able to write to the file system.
                //        vB_Cache_Memcached        excellent performance but usually only available to dedicated or virtual hosted sites.
                //        vB_Cache_APC            excellent performance but only available to those with APC installed, and on a single web server.
                //        vB_Cache_XCache            excellent performance but only available to those with XCache installed, and on a single web server.

//Fast DS Configuration Options
                // $config['fastDS'] = true; // Use to enable or disable fastDS (true/false).
                // $config['fastDSType'] = 'APC'; // Storage Type, at this time APC is the only option.
                // $config['fastDSPrefix'] = ''; // Prefix to prevent collisions on shared systems. Defaults to datastore prefix.
                //Note that if you use the same cache type for this and fast or large cache, and the same prefix, you may have conflicts.
                // $config['fastDSLimit'] = 6000000; // Limits the amount of memory consumed, in bytes

//    ******** FILESYSTEM CACHE CONFIGURATION ******
                //If you use filesystem cache you MUST uncomment the line below.
                //set the path to somewher writeable by the web server process. This location must already exist. Please put
                // this somewhere outside the document root. Otherwise you have just created a serious security issue.
                //Don't include the final '/'

//$config['Cache']['fileCachePath'] = '/valid/writeable/for/my/webserver';

// ****** DATASTORE CACHE CONFIGURATION *****
                    // Here you can configure different methods for caching datastore items.
                    // You may need to clear this cache after installing/upgrading. You can do this either
                    // in the control panel (Maintenance) or by restarting the web server.
                    // vB_Datastore_Filecache  - to use includes/datastore/datastore_cache.php
                    // vB_Datastore_APC - to use APC
                    // vB_Datastore_XCache - to use XCache
                    // vB_Datastore_WinCache - to use WinCache
                    // vB_Datastore_Memcached - to use a Memcache server, more configuration below
                    // $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Filecache';
                    //if you use Filecache you can accept the default location, or better
                    // to uncomment the next line and set a location
                    // $config['Misc']['datastorepath'] = '/valid/writeable/for/my/webserver';
                    // or if you have set $config['Cache']['fileCachePath' above you can do nothing and
                    // it will use that location.

// ******** DATASTORE PREFIX ******
                    // If you are using a PHP Caching system (APC, XCache, eAccelerator, WinCache) with more
                    // than one set of forums installed on your host, you *may* need to use a prefix
                    // so that they do not try to use the same variable within the cache.
                    // This works in a similar manner to the database table prefix.
                // $config['Datastore']['prefix'] = '';

// It is also necessary to specify the hostname or IP address and the port the server is listening on
                /*
                $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Memcached';
                $i = 0;
                // First Server
                $i++;
                $config['Misc']['memcacheserver'][$i]        = '127.0.0.1';
                $config['Misc']['memcacheport'][$i]            = 11211;
                $config['Misc']['memcachepersistent'][$i]    = true;
                $config['Misc']['memcacheweight'][$i]        = 1;
                $config['Misc']['memcachetimeout'][$i]        = 1;
                $config['Misc']['memcacheretry_interval'][$i] = 15;
                */
                //If you are using Memcache you should can set a prefix. This is needed only if the memcache server is shared. If dedicated you don't need it.
                $config['Cache']['memcacheprefix'] = '';

//Please refer to the documentation in  do_not_upload/sphinx_install_unix.txt or do_not_upload/sphinx_install_windows.txt
                //for how to configure sphinx to work with vBulletin
                //$config['Misc']['sphinx_host']        = '127.0.0.1';
                //$config['Misc']['sphinx_port']        = '9306';
                //$config['Misc']['sphinx_path']        = '<shpinx_root>'; //no trailing slash
                //$config['Misc']['sphinx_config']    = $config['Misc']['sphinx_path'] . '/etc/vbulletin_sphinx.conf';
                vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Anything else I can look into?
                  vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Are you using the vb_cron.php file on the server? If possible, I suggest using it and removing Scheduled Tasks from user flow.

In addition to this, you might look into using MemCached for cache[0].

Wayne Luke

Comment

Memcache is enabled and the site is supercharged, except when selecting "notifications". The funny/strange thing is, if I go directly to the forum with the new post that triggered the notification, there is zero lag.

I still need to install/config the vbcron.php file.

What is meant by
                      Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      removing Scheduled Tasks from user flow.
                      How is that removed/disabled?
                      vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

How is Scheduled Tasks from user flow. removed/disabled?
                        vB Mods That Rock!

Comment