No announcement yet.

Content Module Thread Display Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi related as it relates to the Search Modules. In short I have it set on my site that when you click on a thread link that it will take you to the last most recent post. I have noticed however when clicking on a link is a search module, it will take you to the first post. Is there a way to have it take you to the last most recent post ?

I have the search module to show the most recently updated threads, so it makes sense that when you click on it that it would actually take you to the latest post as opposed to the start of the thread.

Thanks !
    P

Comment

Originally posted by panzerscope View Post
      In short I have it set on my site that when you click on a thread link that it will take you to the last most recent post.
      Is this through and Add-on Product or template modification?

I have noticed however when clicking on a link is a search module, it will take you to the first post. Is there a way to have it take you to the last most recent post ? I have the search module to show the most recently updated threads, so it makes sense that when you click on it that it would actually take you to the latest post as opposed to the start of the thread.
      The same modification would have to be applied to the Search Widget Templates. Most likely widget_search_results.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Hey Wayne,

This was achieved by using one of Glenn's modification as per : https://vbmods.rocks/forum/vbulletin...r-to-last-post

I would ask him how to possibly achieve this but alas, he is no longer active on his forums (For the moment for whatever reason).

Thanks,
        P

Comment

I'll try to take a look at it. Generally speaking, the same changes would need to be made to search URLs linking to topics.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            I'll try to take a look at it. Generally speaking, the same changes would need to be made to search URLs linking to topics.
            Much appreciated !

Comment

Hey,

So I took a look at the VB Roadmap for 5.5.5, I may have used it incorrectly, but I did not see a fix incoming for the behavior of the search module that I described in the OP. Am I correct in thinking this ?

Thanks,
              P

Comment

You are correct. It is due to how the search module is built and fixing the issue requires fundamental change in how that is done. Currently, it you have a parent channel selected to be shown (say Home Page or Forums) then all of its children will be included. Whether they are selected or not. This inheritance is used within vBulletin in a lot of different places some examples include Channel Permissions, Styles, and Languages. This reduces data storage and allows for complex permutations in various systems.

Inheritance was also applied to Search. There is currently no way to turn off inheritance in one instance but leave it is others in regards to search. The workaround would be to select each individual channel you want included in the search result module. Until a new method of handling inheritance is engineered so it doesn't break existing sites but allows you to do what you want as well.

Here is the issue if you want to follow it: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19654

Wayne Luke

Comment

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for explaining. So just to make sure I understand, E.G

I have a Parent forum called "Computers". I have three child forums names CPU,GPU & Motherboard. If I only want to have "CPU" & "GPU" forum show up in the search module, I need to make sure I did not also select the Parent forum "Computers", otherwise the ''Motherboard'' forum will also show up in the search module even if not explicitly selected ?

Thanks,
                  P

Comment

You have to make sure not to select "Home Page", "Forums", or "Computers". All of these are parents/ancestors of "Motherboard" and will cause it to show up in the search results.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Awesome.

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

YT Embed Test

Comment