Collapsing Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsing Quotes

I have been asked by my members if it is possible to implement collapsing quotes. I did find a reference to it here on the VB site: https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...d-and-collapse

Would this still be applicable to VB 5 ?

Thanks,
    P

No. Only content in the vBulletin 5 forums is relevant to vBulletin 5. The topic you're linking to is 15 years old.

I don't know of an addon that can do this. You might look at https://www.vbulletin.org or https://vbmods.rocks.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Yes I understand that it is old in nature and based on an older VB product, but I did not no if such a modification is possible on VB5 via template modification.

Comment

I am sure it is. Probably easier since current HTML5, CSS, and Javascript standards have more capabilities than HTML 3.X did. However, this falls outside the boundary of what is provided with technical support. Can look into it if time presents itself but I don't know offhand how to accomplish this. You would get quicker responses on this modification at the two sites above. It might already exist on one of them.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks, I would have to ask one of them. Unfortunately Glenn seems MIA from his site otherwise I would has him as my first port of call.

Comment

Infact I did see this : https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=321756

Based on CSS with a template modifications. I was going to test it but cannot find the template ''Showthread' was the name changed in the later versions of VB ?

Comment

That is a vBulletin 4 Modification.

vBulletin doesn't have a showthread template. It uses a number of display_* templates. However, it would probably be more efficient to collapse the .message class in the bbcode_quote template since it will be called by all the other templates to display quotes. This would leave the header of the quote and the user could click on that space to expand or collapse the quote. You could even provide image based hints for this in the same DIV. I am sure there is a "Spoiler" bbcode for vBulletin 5 that shows how to expand and collapse elements with Javascript and CSS.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks, will take a look into it. a Little out of my comfort zone modification wise as I would not know what code to put where in the bbcode_quote template. I have made template modifications but usually when someone states...put ''That''..''There'' haha.

I do however have a working Spoiler Code that could work for this

Code:
                <div style="cursor:pointer; border:1px solid red;padding:2px; color:red; width:72px" onclick="this.nextSibling.style.display='';this.style.display='none'" title="Click to show content">SPOILER</div><div style="display:none; cursor:pointer; border:1px dotted #000; padding:2px" onclick="this.previousSibling.style.display='';this.style.display='none'"

Comment

What should it look like? All comments collapsed together or each comment on its own?
                  vBulletin-Forum.de closed!

Comment

From what I understand, this would only collapse QUOTED content, not comments. Especially as you would only be manipulating the bbcode_quote template.

Comment

Sorry, I did not read carefully. I will take a look if I find a way to do that.
                      vBulletin-Forum.de closed!

Comment

If you find out, let me know. Trying to find a solution to the collapsing quotes aswell.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X