Notifications of removed posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Bug / Issue] Notifications of removed posts

Users often get confused when they receive a notifications of a new post in the topic they subscribed to.

When this post gets removed by a user of moderator, the notification remains. When a use clicks on it the message is shown that you do not have permissions to view.

This is confusing to members. This should be improved somehow.
    Anyone agrees?
    Please vote for:
    - Lightbox for all uploads
    - Attachment permissions for unregistered users

I'm not sure how you improve it. Suppose the post has been moved into a moderation queue or soft deleted. In those cases the message is accurate.

Comment

I'm sure there's a bug report for this somewhere.

Clearly users should not be notified of something they can't now see.

I'm not sure if the report ever got any traction though.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
        I'm sure there's a bug report for this somewhere.

Clearly users should not be notified of something they can't now see.

I'm not sure if the report ever got any traction though.
        Users who are notified by email would get notified regardless, would they not?

It seems there's not really a way to make this 100% accurate. If there's a reply users are supposed to get notified. That's the entire purpose of the function.

It can't be hit or miss based upon whether the notification went out first or the message was moderated first.

Comment

I have a improvement request to handle email notifications to posts that no longer exist. The same could be used for inline notifications. Currently these actually throw an invalid URL message. With my suggested change, the user would be directed to the next post in the topic. Redirecting to a topic would need a different method of handling it. Will have to think about it.

https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19330

I guess that if the entire topic has been deleted or is no longer available, it should display a flash message on the page stating so and remove the notification. The user can then select a new notification.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's.

I understand that once the notification is send, the cat is out of the box.

But when a user clicks on a notification link from a posts that has been removed, couldn't there be some message saying that the message is deleted or under moderation?
            And a link with "Click here to go to the topic" is displayed?

Please vote for:
            - Lightbox for all uploads
            - Attachment permissions for unregistered users

Comment

Originally posted by chriske View Post
              But when a user clicks on a notification link from a posts that has been removed, couldn't there be some message saying that the message is deleted or under moderation?
              And a link with "Click here to go to the topic" is displayed?
              That is what the issue report that I linked to above is supposed to fix. If this issue is important to you than you should vote and/or comment on the issue.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment