Avatar Manager Not Displaying in CP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avatar Manager Not Displaying in CP

Has anyone had any experience with this?

never been any
    at less you mean something else
    voyger.: In Almighty God I trust, everyone else has to provide evidence."

vBulletin Version 5.5.4

Comment

Avatars are uploaded by the user via their user profile. Click on the existing avatar.

The old avatar gallery from vB3 and vB4 is not a part of vB5, though I believe if anyone was using one already it will continue to display.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I may be using incorrect terms.

In the past, I have provided about 300 avatars that users could choose from and I did not allow them to upload custom avatars. This is what it looks like when I try to edit a user's account and change their avatar. However, when I try to change them now, it gives an error message.

You can see that there were 14 pages of choices. In the past vBulletin version that I used, there was an admin button that you could choose to upload, name, manage, etc. avatars. This was nice to have for many reasons.

Why would the system display them but then not allow me to use them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	avatars1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	4421214

I had considered the fact that version 5.5.3 did not have an avatar manager, but then I saw this video among the vBulletin Video Tutorials on their site. The following is a screen capture of the video. The green arrow is pointing to Avatars. That choice does not exist in mine if you look at the above image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	avatars 2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	4421215

Thanks to anyone for their help or suggestions.

Comment

That is the avatar gallery I mentioned above. It has been removed in vB5. The admincp options were left in so admins could still locate the files, but even this will be removed in a future release.

It is an outdated concept. On the modern internet very few people want to pick preloaded avatars from a gallery. They want to select whatever they want. The feature dates from times when hosting space was expensive and internet connections were very slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            That is the avatar gallery I mentioned above. It has been removed in vB5. The admincp options were left in so admins could still locate the files, but even this will be removed in a future release.

It is an outdated concept. On the modern internet very few people want to pick preloaded avatars from a gallery. They want to select whatever they want. The feature dates from times when hosting space was expensive and internet connections were very slow.
            Right. I understand all that. Mine would be a unique forum that would like pre-loaded avatars but I can work around that. I have people who have been posting for over 10 years and they're simply used to that.

I had questions because, to me, it looks like the video example shows that it's version 5 so I thought it would be included.

Is there a way to remove the old avatar thing totally since I can't use it anyway?

Comment

That would require editing the files.

Might be worth trying this paid third party add on that adds the functionality back
              https://vbmods.rocks/forum/vbulletin...atars-selector

Comment

You can use Site Builder to create an Avatar Gallery on your site.
                1. In Site Builder, click "Add Page"
                2. Add a Static HTML Module.
                3. In this module, you'll add HTML to create a table of avatars.
                  • Underneath each avatar, include the complete path to the image in a form text box.
                4. Save the page and link to it from your Navigation Bar.

Then the end users can visit the page to see all the avatars you offer and select one by copying its path from the text box. When updating their Avatar, they can copy and paste that URL to the form in order to use that image. Though this can get even fancier using some Javascript and a couple of AJAX calls. With those, your page could automatically read the directory of avatars and build the table for you. Then with AJAX, the user can click on an image and have it set as their Avatar.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment