No announcement yet.

server load issue (cache oprimization)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server load issue (cache oprimization)

Hi everyone, my hoster asked me to do somethings to improve the velocity of my site: fiattipoclub.it
    their QoS signaled that the site is slow and the load on the shared server is too high. They suggest me to introduce some caching module. Can you please help me?

Short answer: Get a new host.

This isn’t realistic advice from any host.
    You should make them aware that you are running a professional paid piece of software that is used successfully on thousands of sites worldwide.

The reason your site is slow will be because the host has either oversold a shared server, or under resources it, or both.

The likelihood is they want to push you off their platform, or get you to upgrade to a higher package.

This happens a lot. My personal advice is - any host that gives you that advice, when they can see you’re running a paid, professional script, should be dumped straight away and a more competent host should be found.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thank you Mark, I know that my hoster try to push me for their interest, but as far as I can see, the site is really a bit slow:
      https://developers.google.com/speed/....it&tab=mobile

do you think there is something I can do for getting it faster?
      Thank you

Comment

Personal Advice: Cut down on your Third Party Usage. It's probably causing your site to load a lot slower.

Comment

thank you In Omnibus , can you please help me to understand what does it mean "cut third party usage"?

Comment

Originally posted by blade00 View Post
            thank you In Omnibus , can you please help me to understand what does it mean "cut third party usage"?
            If you scroll down on the Page Insights report you linked you'll see a section called "Third Party Usage"

If you click on it it opens and shows you are loading eighteen third party services with every page load.

The numbers to the right show you how long each service is taking to load.

Try disabling one or more of those and see if your page load speeds increase.

Your other option is to upgrade your hosting.

Comment

The first thing you should do is upgrade. vBulletin 5.4.0 is woefully out of date. We make frequent changes including refactoring code to improve site operations. There have been 9 versions of vBulletin 5 created since your version was released. Since that version, there have been hundreds of bug fixes and performance improvements done to the software. These include PHP, MySQL, Javascript, and CSS enhancements. For the best experience you should really maintain the latest version of vBulletin 5. We release a new version roughly every two months to keep up with the changes needed. Your site doesn't appear to be customized in anyway so the improvements we provide should be significant. Upgrading the software takes about 15 minutes if you're up to date. That includes uploading the files to your web server.

Upgrading PHP and MySQL should also provide benefits. Using PHP 7.X over PHP 5.6, alone provides significant benefits. Especially if the opcache library is installed. The same can be said for using MySQL 5.7 over previous versions of MySQL. The number of queries per second increases substantially.

How many posts does the site have?
              How many concurrent users does the site have?
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Hi Wayne Luke, I did not upgrade because:
                - the last time I tried to do it, I needed the assistence of Mark.B, he did some code modification in order to solve a "log-in issue" due to something wrong with the server. A ticket was opened for this issue.
                - as I understood, MySQL 5.6.10 is required, on my server there is 5.0.12 version.
                The forum has 11917 posts and daily visits are about 700. Thank you.

Comment

My hoster says I should:
                  - use a cache plugin with Minify HTML
                  - combine JS
                  - combine CSS
                  but I really don't know how to do

Comment

Hi Wayne Luke, I did not upgrade because:
                    - the last time I tried to do it, I needed the assistence of Mark.B, he did some code modification in order to solve a "log-in issue" due to something wrong with the server. A ticket was opened for this issue.
                    - as I understood, MySQL 5.6.10 is required, on my server there is 5.0.12 version.
                    The forum has 11917 posts and daily visits are about 700. Thank you.
                    I recall that. It was an http / https thing.

I did place some instructions in the ticket, though we are going back 18 months here and files may have changed.

I did commit at the time that we'd handle your next upgrade free of charge so if you would like me to have a go that still stands.

Obviously you'll need the hosts to upgrade MySQL and possibly php. The minimum php version is now 7.1.

Once you've got the server up to spec we can have a go at the upgrade for you. Reply back to this thread and @mention me and we will take it from there.

As an aside, if your hosts are pushing on resource usage etc then they really ought to be offering more up to date versions of php and MySQL.

Comment

My hoster says I should:
                      - use a cache plugin with Minify HTML
                      - combine JS
                      - combine CSS
                      but I really don't know how to do
                      Don't do any of this.

Comment

MySQL 5.0.12 doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for the version that you're using. The minimum requirements for 5.4.0 are MySQL 5.5.8. Your server load shouldn't even register on their list. 700 visits a day is nothing unless all 700 visits are at the exact same time.

You should ask your hosting provider to move your site to a server that meets the minimum requirements of vBulletin 5.5.X and upgrade. If they refuse, then you should find a new hosting provider as suggested above.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I reckon they've downgraded the specs at some point, MySQL must have been at the correct minimum when I worked on it.

Comment

My mistake, the MySQL version is 5.7.18. PHP version is 7.2. Mark.B thanks again for your help!

Comment

Both of those are sufficient to run vBulletin 5.5.3. Though 5.5.4 will most likely be available next week or the week after.
                              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 30th Aug '19, 10:25am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X