Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Mail Delivery System ?

Hello all,

So at the moment registration confirmation emails are being sent out to users using the default settings when initially setting up VB. I am not using another provider or SMTP. That being said, the registration confirmation emails are easily finding their way to users spam folders. Is there a better method/service for delivery of my VB Site emails where some training can be involved to teach mail domains (Gmail, Outlook Etc) that it is not spam ?

Thanks,
    P

It's the email providers of the email recipients making that determination. I've had registration emails from a law firm email address get marked as spam.

Having said that you're a lot less likely to have emails marked as spam if you use something other than a free email provider.

Free email is the tool of spammers so you now have free email providers blocking each other as spam.

If you don't have a dedicated email address like administrator @ mysite.com then I recommend using something like SMTP.

https://www.smtp.com/pricing/

It's not free but it's reasonable and it gets your emails to inboxes instead of spam folders.

Comment

SMTP is the recommended email transport at this time. SMTP will use encryption while using basic mail via sendmail will not.

To lower the chances of your email getting marked as spam, the email address you use should match the domain that your site is running on. The domain/email should also have proper RDNS and DMARC values configured. Most registrars will offer a email address for your domain for as low as $5 a year.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks guys ! I will take a look into your suggestions.

Comment

Hey Guys,

So I have a Gsuite setup whereby I have created a new [email protected] address. I have entered the details into AdminCP under the relevant SMTP section as below (Password Blanked Out For Obvious Reasons):

Click image for larger version  Name:	SMTP Settings.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.7 KB ID:	4421238

I noticed that my notification emails had stopped, so I ran the Diagnostics and got the following error:

Click image for larger version  Name:	SMTP Error.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.3 KB ID:	4421237

I have followed all the instructions to a T (from what I can see) from the Gsuite SMTP settings as detailed here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

Any ideas as to what is going on here at all ?

Thanks,
          P

Comment

*Update*

Moved to Godaddy email as they do not support gmail or any other provider (Yay) I however am having the same issue as per the screenshots above annoyingly. After speaking with the support team I have been informed I have to edit a PHP file with the following information

You need to use host=localhost=Port=25
            This is what my host has informed me but I have no idea where I am needing to pop this information. The reason I assume it is ''localhost'' is that my VB site is hosted by the same provider as the email.

That being said, I did note there other SMTP relay in case I need to use that instead.

smtpout.secureserver.net
            SSL Port: 465
            Either way I just need to know where I am to put these configs in order to get things to work

Thanks in advance for your help.

P

Comment

You would change your settings accordingly with your username and password and their smtp settings in your ACP under Email Options
              Last edited by GeneralLife; Mon 2nd Sep '19, 7:52am. Reason: Crossed out url
              Running vBulletin 5 on Google Cloud Platform

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralLife View Post
                You would change your settings accordingly with your username and password and their smtp settings in your ACP under Email Options
                Thanks for that, however I guess I should have been more clear, this is what I have done already, to no avail. Looks like I need to edit a PHP file in order to get this to work but unsure which PHP file I need to edit

Comment

Those settings should make it work we changed no php file for our mail to work
                  Running vBulletin 5 on Google Cloud Platform

Comment

You shouldn't have to edit any file.

In the SMTP Host try both 127.0.0.1 and localhost (all lowercase)
                    In the SMTP Port you would input port 25.
                    Set the security to either SSL or TLS as advised by the hosting provider.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks, I will give this a go, if this does not work, I will slap them as they have given me the run around on this one. I will let you know the outcome.

Comment