Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is '/includes/vb5/autoloader.php' and where can I find documentation about how to use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is '/includes/vb5/autoloader.php' and where can I find documentation about how to use it?

Several sources on the web (for example this and this, among many other) refer to the vBulletin script '/includes/vb5/autoloader.php', as some kind of gateway for external PHP applications to access information and controls for vBulletin 5 Connect.

I cannot seem to find any comprehensive documentation about this "autoloader.php" script when I try to google for it though, so does anyone know where I can find this?

And to summarize the capabilities of this "autoloader.php" script, is it only a simple stub for using the vBulletin API, or is it possible to access the internals of vBulletin 5 even more directly than that using it?

The autoloader is the glue that ties the entire software together. It will load classes that that software needs to operate. It is called once when the application (page load) starts. You don't use the autoloader. It isn't something that should be altered or called directly from any addon.

When trying to access any class, you should simply call that class using proper PHP coding.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Ok, thanks, I see.

It seems like people are successfully and quite conveniently being able to use it for hooking into vB5 from external PHP applications on the same server though, such as e.g. described in the two articles that I reference in my original post above (i.e. 1 and 2), out of which the first one is even written by one of your own employees, and published on this very website (i.e. forum.vbulletin.com)?

Comment

Including/Requiring it in your application is the extent of using it though. Once done, it makes the vBulletin files available to your code.

Without knowing what you're trying to do it is hard to answer questions.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Ok, thanks for this info!

What I'm trying to do is to get the user ID of the currently logged in user in vBulletin, from an external PHP application on the same server (thus having access to the vBulletin cookies).

So, are you saying I could include/require autoloader.php from my external PHP application like this, and then easily get access to this information somehow?

Any clues whatsoever about how I would go about doing this would be highly appreciated!

Comment

Cookies are only available through the browser. Your page in the browser should have access to them automatically if it is using the same domain as the forum.

- Cookies won't be available to command line scripts.
            - Cookies are not available to Javascript when using vBulletin.

Wayne Luke

Comment